Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about u/s, estimated sizes, and girls vs boys?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:05 PM
  • 5 Replies

So I had an u/s with both my second and this pregnancy at 19 wks 3 days.With Malachi I had no idea when I conceived but with this baby girl I am sure.

Well they told me then that Malachi was 10 oz and that was measuring big. He was supposed to be 38 wks 3 days at the time I delivered and was estimated to be 8 1/2-9 lbs but they said he was more like 36 wks 3 days and he was only 6 lbs 5 oz and 19 inches long.

So with Laylah-Marie's u/s at 19 wks 3 days they told me she was measuring 3 days ahead and was 11 oz! What I am curious to know is if this is accurate in telling me weither she will be bigger or smaller then my second baby was?

Also I have heard people say that 10 oz at a 19 wk u/s is small so why did they tell me Malachi was big! Also with Malachi I measured big the whole pregnancy but with this pregnancy I measure exact! So does any of this add up to mean anything or does it all mean SQUAT!!!!

www.cafemom.com/group/TTCorPregnant

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
LilynAustin
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:09 PM

I don't really give the whole ultrasound for fetal weight much of a thought.  I was told my daughter was actually measuring small at 17 weeks, and she would probably only be a smidge over 6 lbs at birth.  At 37 weeks they did another ultrasound and said she would be about 7-8 lbs.  I delivered a 10 lb 9 oz baby.  I wouldn't really take those ultrasounds seriously half the time.  They are notoriously wrong about birth weight.  If you are measuring normally on fundal height...you should be just fine.

~Stephanie

babies

baby

baby

danielsmommy2b
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:13 PM

I wouldn't count on those measurements. I go for quite a few ultrasounds. When my son was born, they estimated him "big", he was 5lbs 12oz. My daughter was measuring 6lbs 9oz, she came out at 7lbs 6oz the next day. This baby was measuring 2lbs 8oz last week, they said he was big as well. Even the doctors don't know until the moment they are born...

katesager
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:30 PM

My doctor told me that ultrasounds can be 15-20% off. I don't really think it means much. I was measuring small, they changed my due date. Then I was measuring big, and now I am right on track! I wouldn't think too much of it!

mommy2xp
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:26 PM

I honestly never paid attention to what they said they weighed. I was estimated to have 6lb ish babies each time, I had 9lbs ish babies each time. I wouldn't listen to em lol With my experience all my girls have been within ounces of each other and it reflects how long they were in there, my smallest was early my biggest was latest

truealaskanmom
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Yeah that is small I believe so I would say she will be his size, maybe bigger.  Girls do tend to have slower growth but not always, and U/S after 13 weeks is very inaccurate at guessing size because all babies develop at different rates after 13 weeks.  I really hate that they say stupid stuff like that, I am lucky they just said it looks to be about this but there is no telling and my early U/S is what we go off of because it was at 12 weeks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)