Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stripping Membranes?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:29 PM
  • 26 Replies

So my dr. Decided last week that on April 30th she'd strip my membranes.  My question to you ladies if you have had it done.... Did it help?  How long did it take for you to go into labor?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meam4444
by Emerald Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:32 PM

I had it done, and my water broke that afternoon.

truealaskanmom
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:33 PM

Not one bit, it hurt like hell for a few hours after and I had to be induced and then c-sectioned 2 weeks later.  It only will work if you are within a few days of natural onset anyways.  It also increases your risk of infection and PROM.  I think that it played a role in my amnio fluid level dropping to practically nothing I think it put a small tear in my membranes

rileysmommy229
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:34 PM

so she is going to strip them at 36 weeks?? i've never had it done but my bday is april 30th, lol....

bella12978
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:36 PM

I agree with the prior post in that I think your body actually needs to be ready for labor for it to work.  I had mine done, and it didn't do a thing!  Of course, my cervix was still so high my doctor could barely reach it.

SugaMomma87
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Quoting meam4444:

Thats awesome!!!  I hope ours goes smoothly like that.  I dont know if that afternoon would be that great, but within a week.lol

SugaMomma87
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Quoting rileysmommy229:

so she is going to strip them at 36 weeks?? i've never had it done but my bday is april 30th, lol....

lol I'll give it a shot.lol Happy almost Bday!

Momt24
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:37 PM

I haven't had it done but my friend did and said it hurt something awful.

truealaskanmom
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Quoting SugaMomma87:

Quoting meam4444:

Thats awesome!!!  I hope ours goes smoothly like that.  I dont know if that afternoon would be that great, but within a week.lol

Keep in mind that just because your water breaks does not mean you are in labor, they are not inclusive items, your water can break and go weeks before labor starts, or you can deliver a baby in sac without your water ever breaking.  

SugaMomma87
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:39 PM

Quoting bella12978:

I agree with the prior post in that I think your body actually needs to be ready for labor for it to work.  I had mine done, and it didn't do a thing!  Of course, my cervix was still so high my doctor could barely reach it.

Yeah we're trying to rippen the cervix as much as we can before hand.  My body has a lot of issues, like scar tissue that is tearing in the uterus and a large baby.  We're hoping that it helps.  She said that we would wait for the next week if I'm not ripe enough or dialated at all too.  So hopefully we can do it sometime around then. 

SugaMomma87
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Quoting truealaskanmom:

Keep in mind that just because your water breaks does not mean you are in labor, they are not inclusive items, your water can break and go weeks before labor starts, or you can deliver a baby in sac without your water ever breaking.  

Yeah I understand that.  Like I said we are hoping it helps. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)