Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What kind of blood test is my doctor talking about at 36 weeks?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:46 PM
  • 9 Replies

I didn't even really think about it when I left my appointment on the 2nd, but my next appointment is the 30th. I'll be 36ish weeks. He's rambling as I leave and I just caught "Yadda yadda and get a blood screening when you come back." I didn't really question it as I'm not squeamish or scared of needles, but then I just kind of wondered why. What's he checking for? He's already done blood work, and knows my blood type and Rh status.

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Kaydence2010
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:48 PM

did you get your glucose testing?? i remember at 36 weeks i had my strep b test but thats not a blood test... hmm and the quad screening is done earlier on

rileysmommy229
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:50 PM

yeah the only test i got at 36 weeks was the strep b test

truealaskanmom
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:50 PM

I cannot think of anything unless they are checking for RH antibodies?  I would call and try and figure it out.

ohsowonderful
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Yeah I had my glucose testing done already so I thought that was it. Maybe he meant to say group b strep, because I thought that's all I had left.

MamaKalila
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:56 PM

Iron?  If it was low the last time you were tested for it they'll do it again at that point.

ohsowonderful
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Last time they drew any blood was in January I think. My other doc never tested me for iron that I know of. Huh. Now I'm confused, lol

Quoting MamaKalila:

Iron?  If it was low the last time you were tested for it they'll do it again at that point.

MamaKalila
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 7:03 PM

Wow.  If your iron gets too low (anemic) you can have problems with hemorraging during the birth. They can deal with it obviously, but is a pretty common test. 

Quoting ohsowonderful:

Last time they drew any blood was in January I think. My other doc never tested me for iron that I know of. Huh. Now I'm confused, lol

Quoting MamaKalila:

smallest_mc Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobuckethttp://www.youravon.com/kmery AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
ohsowonderful
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Do they do it through lab work or is it a finger stick like they do for babies?  Because they might have checked with my lab work and I just didn't pay attention.

Quoting MamaKalila:

Wow.  If your iron gets too low (anemic) you can have problems with hemorraging during the birth. They can deal with it obviously, but is a pretty common test. 

Quoting ohsowonderful:

Quoting MamaKalila:

MamaKalila
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 7:31 PM

It was prob with your lab work... mine was. I only knew because mine came back low... if they didn't mention it to you yours prob wasn't.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)