Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thyroid Problems (piog)

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 7:57 PM
  • 2 Replies

My doctor called today and told me the results of my blood work showed that I have extremely high thyroid levels.   He is concerned that it might affect the baby's mental growth.  It can also cause a miscarriage, early labor, low birth weight and pre-eclampsia.  I have had a lot of the symptoms, and had to go to the E.R last night because I fainted, I was feeling really dizzy, and was losing my eye sight.  I have to go in tomorrow for a bunch of testing. He thinks that I have Hyperthyroidism/Graves disease. My doctor wants me to start taking Hormone Replacement shots. And if I don't dramatically get better, I will have to admit my self into the hospital, and go on bed rest for awhile ( I am only 13 1/2 weeks)   I am freaking out !   Has anyone else had any thyroid problems when they were pregnant ?  This is the first time I have ever had this.  I need positive thoughts !  

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 7:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
luvmycutebaby
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Pregnancy can put a lot of stress on the thyroid so it's not uncommon to have thyroid problems during pregnancy. Have you been referred to see an Endocrinologist? If not, I would urge to get that done as soon as possible because those are the thyroid experts. I have considerable thyroid issues so feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions!

tashangel31
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:11 PM

I also have thyroid issues. And I was told the same things about m/c, mental issues with the baby and so on...BUT i will tell you by 12 weeks gestation the baby no longer needs your thyroid b/c the baby has its own and it is working.so nothing after this week can affect the baby. However, you do need to see and edocrinologist as they can help alot with the diagnosis and medications much better than an OB or even a family practitioner can!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)