Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question for moms who have pumped

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:06 AM
  • 10 Replies

Ok so with DD I did not/cound not BF. Milk never came in and I just did not try to get it to work. Well this time around I want to try breast milk. I am not comfortable BF in public or even in front of my mother. So Im thinking about soley pumping. Has anyone pumped before and do you think this is possible?

Seems easy to me as I can pump more often then baby would nurse and Ive heard you can freeze it. So I should be able to store it. Then it should be easy to take on trips and what not as we have plug-ins in out navigator to heat up. And daddy and daughter can bond with baby as well. 

So any advice? oranswers to my questions? My milk only came in on one side and it took a week to come in so it dried fast. I dont know how often you can pump orhow much you get everytime you pump? I plan to talk to my doctor on the 4th but I need to ask here as you all may give memore questions to ask or answer alot of them. 

PIOG

Thanks 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

babies
by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ohsowonderful
by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:13 AM

I pumped for 7 months. It was frustrating and I hated it and I do not regret it at all. :) Every time your baby eats, pump. When you have nothing else to do, pump to keep up your supply.

It's pretty easy to freeze and stuff, you just have to get used to knowing how many ounces you'll need to thaw in the fridge... and then it doesn't take too long to warm up for their bottle.

I pumped because my baby had "the laziest latch" the lactation consultant had ever seen. I was 19 and just got too frustrated with it, even after the consultant told me he'd get better.. Believe me, nurses babies nurse a LOT, and you need to kind of synchronize your pumping with when the baby eats.. because you need to do it regularly and that's the simplest way.

But it's very very do-able. :) I.. think I answered your questions. If not, ask away again. lol

Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

WhiteTigerLily
by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:15 AM

I do not make milk like normal women. I have PCOS and BF the "reg way" just isn't really possible for me. When I am in the hospital I start pumping. Takes about 4 days or so before I start to produce anything. I do not make colustrum like every one else. I BF my dd somewhat, but pumped with my son, and I also pumped with my daughter. It's not hard to build up a supply that way but what is hard is pumping and bottle feeding also. By the time baby is done feeding all you want to do is sleep. Not sit and pump for another hour. I pumped for 6 mo with my son, and 3 mo with my DD because i had a severe kidney infection and wound up hospitalized for a couple weeks, and due to infection and medication I could not give her BM anymore. It's easy really to pump and build a supply but it also depends on how busy you are too. You will most likely wind up giving formula as well as BM, well I had to anyways, cause I couldnt keep up a good supply and feed also, cause liek I said in thebeginning I have NOTHING. In any case I wish you the best of luck regardless how you choose to feed your lil one =)

abstractmommy
by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:18 AM

Exclusively pumping is very hard at night. I have to pump or nurse every 2 hours to keep up my supply. It's much easier to put him on the boob than get up and make a bottle.

That being said...it can be done. It's just time consuming. I would start with pumping every 1-2 hours to build up your supply and stash some away. Use the highest setting you can comfortably stand. For the first 2 months I was pumping 30 min, now I can do it in 10(with a double pump). And make sure you invest in a GOOD pump, not a nipple shredder. If you plan on electric, I recommend Medela. Theu  have the best customer support and the Freestyle lets me do other things because it's hands-free.

veganimal
by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:23 AM

I HATED pumping. For me it was a million times easier just to breastfeed.

Some women dont even respond to the pump, i could never get more then an ounce or 2.

MommySteph06
by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:23 AM

I have to pump for when I'm at class and I hate it. I couldn't imagine exclusively pumping. I think you're setting yourself up for failure honestly. Pumping doesn't get out the same amount of milk the baby does, so that equals MORE pumping. What a pain in the butt...lol. I was pretty nervous nursing in public, too, but you get over it pretty fast.

MommySteph06
by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:25 AM

I never understood that whole "hands free" pump. My pump in style can easily be rigged to be hands free and it works perfectly fine. I pump every morning while I'm doing my make-up! haha

Quoting abstractmommy:

Exclusively pumping is very hard at night. I have to pump or nurse every 2 hours to keep up my supply. It's much easier to put him on the boob than get up and make a bottle.

That being said...it can be done. It's just time consuming. I would start with pumping every 1-2 hours to build up your supply and stash some away. Use the highest setting you can comfortably stand. For the first 2 months I was pumping 30 min, now I can do it in 10(with a double pump). And make sure you invest in a GOOD pump, not a nipple shredder. If you plan on electric, I recommend Medela. Theu  have the best customer support and the Freestyle lets me do other things because it's hands-free.

Pandana
by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:45 AM

Quoting veganimal:

I HATED pumping. For me it was a million times easier just to breastfeed.

Some women dont even respond to the pump, i could never get more then an ounce or 2.

Yeah, I was one of those women LOL. Even when my son was 6-7 months old (and he was a fatty too LOL, I was producing PLENTY of milk) I could sit with a pump for 30 minutes and get less than an ounce. I would have had to pump several times in one day just to get one bottle's worth at that point.

Granted, not everyone has that problem. Some women can pump several ounces in just minutes. There's just no way to know how your body will respond until you try.

But one thing is for sure.....nursing will help. You can pump every 2 hours every day after you give birth, but your milk will still come in faster if you are nursing as well. Oxytocin triggers lactation, and while SOME is produced just by having skin-to-skin contact with the baby (it can help to do that while you pump as well, put the baby on your skin), alot more oxytocin is produced when the baby actually latches on. It's a chemical response, and it will trigger your milk to come in much more quickly and much more plentiful than pumping alone.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
mommy2xp
by on May. 2, 2010 at 2:15 AM

Get a good pump! And figure out how to pump hands free, it will save you a lot, as you can pump while you are feeding baby, or whatever else you have to do.  Make sure you read on how to store the milk and how long it's good for. Here's one page on it. And pump every time the baby eats.

SillyJessi
by on May. 2, 2010 at 2:18 AM

I pumped exclusively for 3 months, beginning when my son was 2 months old and I had a wretched low milk supply from him bad latch and a bunch of other problems.

I was a super-pumper.  I ate a bowl of warm oatmeal (helps boost supply) whenever I sat down to pump first thing in the morning.  I usually had to change the bottles during the session - i could easily pump over 16 oz in the morning.  after my bowl of oatmeal and about 2 hours later I would pump again and get about 12 oz.  I would pump again 2 more hours later and get 8 or 10 oz.  I would pump 3hrs later and get 4-8 oz.  By night fall I would have about 2 oz total.  I'd eat a bowl of oatmeal and chug abunch of water before going to bed, then when I'd feed the baby in the night drink more water and pump once.  By morning start again.

I pumped about 6-10 times a day, and basically trained my boobies to be super productive in the morning and slow down throughout the day - because I was home in the morning and did errands during the day my body adapted.

I managed to pump enough to stuff my baby full, AND have an extra few oz to bags of oz in the freezer.  I had alot of success with it.

Part of it was determination.

part of it was loving my boobies.  LOL seriously, I would tell them how grateful I was for them giving my baby so much delicious milk.  I Loved my boobies.  they were awesome and cooperated quite nicely.

It can be done, absolutely.  I did it, and I made LOTS of milk.  I even tried to donate it to my local hospitals, but no takers :(

When my son returned to the breast at 5 months old, I slowly stopped pumping, gave his daddy the milk to feed him at nights and went to the library every day for an hour alone for a month, and FINALLY used up all the milk by the time my son was 7 months old!!!  This helped my breasts re-adjust and diminished my supply to a comfortable amount for my son to eat without choking :)

If you really want to do it, I suggest Medela Pump In Style.

katznkt
by on May. 2, 2010 at 2:24 AM

I nursed my first for 15 months and HATED it. It isn't that you can't solely nurse, but it just is more work than you think. You have the hassle of bottles AND the schedule of nursing. To keep your supply, you have to pump each side for a minimum of 15 minutes every 2-3 hours around the clock. 

Yes you can freeze, but if you feed them around the clock from pumped milk, chances are you won't have much stored. When pumping I would get 1-3 oz total.

To get your milk to come in 1. relax 2. put the baby to the boob every chance you get even if you think nothing is coming out 3. let the baby fuss at the boob... that stimulates milk creation and let down 4. drink lots of water 5. NO bottles during this time! Any formula will slash your chance of breastfeeding...babies are made not to need anything but colostrum during this first 1-5 days.

Honestly, I would just try nursing. Then after 6 weeks (when your milk is regulated and you are less likely to get infection) you can start pumping. If you like pumping 24/7 at that point, great. Do it. 

Honestly, bf is hard and painful for the first 1-2 months. But if you can make it past that, it is sooooo much better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)