Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Overdue, Can't walk, Induction?

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 6:47 AM
  • 17 Replies

Okay, several things. I am now 4 days overdue. As of Mon. I have had horrible pain in my tailbone radiating through my right hip and it's to the point now where I literally can NOT walk except to the bathroom. Mind you I have a 2 yr. old. Thank God my Mom stayed with me all week and my husband helps. I have an appt. Mon. where I will be heavily pressured for an induction as Dr. doesnt want me to go past 41 weeks which will be Wed. This is the one thing I didn't want, pitocin, but I'm being pressured by everyone to take this induction and quite honestly even though I said I wouldn't do it until 42 weeks this pain is becoming unbearable. I'm mostly just venting. Anyone had this? Maybe there is some remote possiblitiy I will just go into labor. Hmmm? Dr. stripped membranes last Wed. and I did lose my mucus plug over the course for the last 2 days but it seems to be all gone now and there was never any bloody show. I have been 2 cm. 50% for a month now. In my last pregnancy my water broke the morning after losing it one night at 38 weeks. No contractions and had to be induced with pitocin. Seems to be my birth story =(. Frustrated and Venting!!!

banner

Hand-made for Baby and Mama! http://www.sewbebe.etsy.com

by on May. 2, 2010 at 6:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ttaylor1998
by on May. 2, 2010 at 7:42 AM

Sounds to me like baby is not in an optimal position.  Have you tried any exercises to help shift the baby?

http://www.spinningbabies.com/ has some very helpful techniques. =)

My little guy was posterior and labor did not start until 41 weeks, 3 days.  He did not switch his position until the last 20 minutes of labor. lol

MommyRJ
by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:17 AM

sounds like Sciatic Nerve :( that will make anyone miserable. it wont go away until you either have the baby, or the baby wants to move- which at this point, probably wont hapen.

i know ice packs and heating pads help tho.

Im sorry mama, if you feel you want the induction then do it. If not wait it out, see if they will stripe you again or idk???

jridgill
by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:21 AM

I'm sorry. I would try to avoid it. Can you have sex? Here's to hoping the baby comes soon!

truealaskanmom
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:50 AM

sounds like the baby is in a weird position causing you pain, I would go to the chiropractor, and make sure to drink  more water than you ever thought possible.   I really really think that a chiropractor will stop or at least ease the pain and if they can get the baby to move into a better spot you may go into labor.  Stay strong and say no to the induction the baby isn't ready yet. 

doulala
by on May. 2, 2010 at 12:11 PM

If it is your first baby, you can expect a more accurate "due date" (which is still a guesstimated average MID-point, lol) to be 41 weeks, 1 day.      

You can work on becoming more comfy, like go to the chiropractor, get help.   It could even be a while after that 41 week mark before your body-baby are ready.    
Do all you can to take care of yourself and avoid unnecessary risks-dangers.

Stay strong~   you are going through what we women go through, you can do this!!!

:-D

SewBebe
by on May. 2, 2010 at 12:58 PM

I have been doing the pelvic rocking because it feels good and relieves the pressure but am not comfortable with doing that tilt thing on the website. I can't tell what position baby is in except head down I know. This is my 2nd and my 1st was born at 38 wks. I've never been to the chiropractor but maybe could get in with someone Mon. I do think it could be sciatia but I never knew it could be this debilitating, gah! I am worried about not being able to walk etc. due to this pain when the pain of labor starts (if it ever does naturally). Thanks for the support and advice!

ready_for2
by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:02 PM

sounds like your baby is VERY low, down on your tailbone almost!! it wont be much longer... i would hold off on the induction. what if you do it, have complications which most likely WILL happen to some degree, maybe even a c/s, when the baby might have come on its own later that day or the very next day anyway? i just dont think its worth the risk...

i know it sucks at the end, i was the same way. i was so HUGE, my baby was 9 1/2 lbs and im a small built girl, he was very low with nowhere else to go. i just had to put myself on bed rest...since i couldnt go anywhere or do anything (not that i even wanted to that that point! LOL) i ended up letting my doc push my into induction at 40 weeks 3 days and became a victim of the 'cascade of interventions'

(pitocin, IV, continuous fetal monitoring, epidural, cathether, not allowed to eat, in bed, on my back, fetal distress due to pitocin, oxygen mask, vacuum extraction, and didnt get to hold my son for 20 min after bc of complications with him)

how i regret it!! i wish i would have just waited a few more days...

ready_for2
by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:04 PM

if you get into a all fours position, like on your hands and knees, it should encourage the baby to turn, if the baby is in the wrong position. it will probably feel good to you also just to do that, it should take the pressure off and let gravity help swing the baby around

doulala
by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Quoting SewBebe:

I have been doing the pelvic rocking because it feels good and relieves the pressure but am not comfortable with doing that tilt thing on the website. I can't tell what position baby is in except head down I know. This is my 2nd and my 1st was born at 38 wks. I've never been to the chiropractor but maybe could get in with someone Mon. I do think it could be sciatia but I never knew it could be this debilitating, gah! I am worried about not being able to walk etc. due to this pain when the pain of labor starts (if it ever does naturally). Thanks for the support and advice!

If you want to try Belly Mapping, it may help pass the time...
Good luck!

Birth is a process that probably lasts about a month or more, when
you think of how the baby works his/her way into position, mom's body
prepares with the uterus thickening at the top and thinning at the
bottom and the cervix prepares itself to dilate for the final pushes in
this process. It is such an amazing, divine plan and in this day and age
so easily disturbed—possibly as never before. I think induction,
possibly in any form, can disrupt this plan, interrupting the baby's
process of positioning and getting ready to be born. As Carla Hartley
says, "Birth is safe, interference is risky."

Jan Tritten, mother of Midwifery Today
magazine

SewBebe
by on May. 2, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Quoting ready_for2:

sounds like your baby is VERY low, down on your tailbone almost!! it wont be much longer... i would hold off on the induction. what if you do it, have complications which most likely WILL happen to some degree, maybe even a c/s, when the baby might have come on its own later that day or the very next day anyway? i just dont think its worth the risk...

i know it sucks at the end, i was the same way. i was so HUGE, my baby was 9 1/2 lbs and im a small built girl, he was very low with nowhere else to go. i just had to put myself on bed rest...since i couldnt go anywhere or do anything (not that i even wanted to that that point! LOL) i ended up letting my doc push my into induction at 40 weeks 3 days and became a victim of the 'cascade of interventions'

(pitocin, IV, continuous fetal monitoring, epidural, cathether, not allowed to eat, in bed, on my back, fetal distress due to pitocin, oxygen mask, vacuum extraction, and didnt get to hold my son for 20 min after bc of complications with him)

how i regret it!! i wish i would have just waited a few more days...

Agree, pretty much all the stuff that happened to me last time except I did manage NOT to have a c-section thankfully. I am going to try the all 4s and maybe sex again if I we can manage, lol!

banner

Hand-made for Baby and Mama! http://www.sewbebe.etsy.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)