• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sciatica?

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 7:52 AM
  • 15 Replies

Anyone have sciatica?  I think that's what I have and it is bad.  The only thing my midwife could tell me is to do stretches and that's not helping so far...

Lilypie Maternity tickers
by on May. 2, 2010 at 7:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mstevens10
by on May. 2, 2010 at 7:59 AM

sorry mama I haven't (luckly) so far. But heres a BUMP! There is someone on here who has been dealing with the baby being on a nerve for months and she can't hardly do anything becuase of it.. .maybe she will see this post and can give some sort of help.

TiDyedSunriseLZ
by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:05 AM

Massage helps Sciatica.  More specifically Neuromuscular Therapy or Deep Tissue. Stretching should help as well.. it's all about targeting the right muscles though. Did she should you stretches to do?

CafeMom Tickers
TiDyedSunriseLZ
by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:10 AM

http://www.ehow.com/how_2211957_do-piriformis-muscle-stretches.html

This is a stretch you should feel where it matters! :)

truealaskanmom
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Don't stretch that makes it worse, go to the chiropractor, they will move your pelvis off of the nerve and it will relieve the pain soooooo much, stretching only stretches your ligaments more making it worse. 

kmama04
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:58 AM

One of the best things for sciatica pain is walking. Sitting and lying around doesn't help. Stretches and walking are the two best things. My doctor recommended seeing a chiropracter. He adjusted me and then showed me stretches and also said to walk walk walk.

TiDyedSunriseLZ
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Quoting truealaskanmom:

Don't stretch that makes it worse, go to the chiropractor, they will move your pelvis off of the nerve and it will relieve the pain soooooo much, stretching only stretches your ligaments more making it worse. 

I am curious where you have heard this? The sciatic nerve passes under and for some goes through the piriformis muscle. When this muscle is very tight it can be a cause for Sciatica. Stretching will get this muscle to not be tight and take the pressure off of the nerve.  Stretching correctly should not overstretch the ligaments.. the purpose is to stretch and relax muscles.

CafeMom Tickers
truealaskanmom
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Quoting TiDyedSunriseLZ:

Quoting truealaskanmom:

I am curious where you have heard this? The sciatic nerve passes under and for some goes through the piriformis muscle. When this muscle is very tight it can be a cause for Sciatica. Stretching will get this muscle to not be tight and take the pressure off of the nerve.  Stretching correctly should not overstretch the ligaments.. the purpose is to stretch and relax muscles.

When you are pregnant and have this type of problem your body is making too much of the hormone relaxin which makes your ligaments very loose, and your pelvis will move and put pressure on your sciatic nerve causing the pain and inflamation.  Even minor stretching will stretch your ligaments out further causing more shifting in your pelvis causing the problem to be more chronic than it should be.  

I was told this by my OB, a nurse, a midwife, 2 chiropractors, and a physical therapist, and about 4 or 5 doulas. 

TiDyedSunriseLZ
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:18 AM

Quoting truealaskanmom:

Quoting TiDyedSunriseLZ:

Quoting truealaskanmom:

When you are pregnant and have this type of problem your body is making too much of the hormone relaxin which makes your ligaments very loose, and your pelvis will move and put pressure on your sciatic nerve causing the pain and inflamation.  Even minor stretching will stretch your ligaments out further causing more shifting in your pelvis causing the problem to be more chronic than it should be.  

I was told this by my OB, a nurse, a midwife, 2 chiropractors, and a physical therapist, and about 4 or 5 doulas. 

That is interesting for sure and worth looking into. And they feel every pregnancy with sciatic symptoms are caused by this?  It's hard for me personally to look at stretching as a bad thing.

CafeMom Tickers
doulala
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:18 AM

I don't know about making it chronic through stretching, but with sciatica it was quickly & easily fixed with the chiropractor & too painful for stretching--

It is a pinched nerve, sharp feeling.    Gone immediately after the chiro helped!!      :-D     ahhhhhhh!!

flyfree55
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:30 AM

i had it i swam alot. 5 times a week for an hour it was the only thhing that helped me. do streches and things like it in the water. good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)