Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can someone help me find the statistics I am looking for?

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:30 AM
  • 10 Replies

Hello Mommas!  I am hoping for some help.  I am trying to find some statistics on due dates versus actual delivery dates for first time moms.  I know we have seen lots of polls posted here on the same topic, but I am trying to find some actual statistics.  (If you are able to find something, I am looking for natural birth statistics, not c-section or induced.)  Thanks for your help ladies!  All I have been able to find are posts with this topic in other social networking forums.

At my last appointment, the CNM, pointed out that I will be full term at 37 weeks and the baby could come at any time after that. That is 3 weeks prior to my due date, so I am wondering what the statistics are for first time moms.  I know every pregnancy and every baby are different, I am just looking for some general info.

by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
truealaskanmom
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:34 AM

First time moms usually go into labor and deliver at 41 weeks and 3 days.  This is natural spontaneous onset not induced.  95% will go into labor prior to 42 weeks, it is very uncommon for a first timer to have a baby before 40 weeks.  Your CNM was just saying that at this point your baby is considered full meaning that the important development is complete but the lungs will still continue to develop until delivery. 

shamillionaire
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:37 AM

With my first I was given two due dates and ended up having my son a month before one due date and a month and a half before the other...

MelzyD
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:52 AM

Thanks ladies......I keep hearing that normally first time moms go "overdue," but from a lot of the posts I see hear, that ISN'T the case.  Perfect example shamillionaire, ;-).  Truealaskanmom, thank you for the numbers, but do you know where they came from? 

shamillionaire
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:55 AM

Thats whats funny everyone told me that I would go beyond my due date. I was so worried that I would then I went a whole month early. Talk about happy about it too!! Lol! Some people are trying to tell my that with twins you go late. Well I have spoken to over 40 twin moms and they all went early. I think some people just want to scare you!!

Quoting MelzyD:

Thanks ladies......I keep hearing that normally first time moms go "overdue," but from a lot of the posts I see hear, that ISN'T the case.  Perfect example shamillionaire, ;-).  Truealaskanmom, thank you for the numbers, but do you know where they came from? 

truealaskanmom
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:58 AM

O got them from ICAN, and every natural pregnancy book I own.  It is a pretty common study in pregnant women.  On here most women are induced in some manner or another, but if you ask the all natural birthers they will be past due on their first.  There is a lady on here who had her second child at 44 weeks I believe.  First time moms is 41weeks 3 days and susbsequent pregnancies is 41 weeks 1 day average.  40 weeks being your due date is actually a new trend in the last 20 years, before that it was 42 weeks like it should be. 

truealaskanmom
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:59 AM

Quoting shamillionaire:

Thats whats funny everyone told me that I would go beyond my due date. I was so worried that I would then I went a whole month early. Talk about happy about it too!! Lol! Some people are trying to tell my that with twins you go late. Well I have spoken to over 40 twin moms and they all went early. I think some people just want to scare you!!

Quoting MelzyD:

Who says that twins are late?   They are cracked it is rare for twins to make it to a due date let alone be late. Crazy.  Sounds like with you they really had no freaking clue when you were really due though, grasping at straws I suppose. 

shamillionaire
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Quoting the lady that said it.. Contrary to popular belief Shamillionaire twins usually go over their due date.... Yea I swear people just want to add their two cents without knowing the facts... She's on here but I don't want to be rude and call her out... But they also have never had twins either so I'm not sure HOW they could even say such a thing...

Quoting truealaskanmom:

Quoting shamillionaire:

Quoting MelzyD:

Who says that twins are late?   They are cracked it is rare for twins to make it to a due date let alone be late. Crazy.  Sounds like with you they really had no freaking clue when you were really due though, grasping at straws I suppose. 

MelzyD
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:42 AM

BUMP!

PiccoloMama
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:51 AM

I don't know were you can find actually numbers but my first was born at 37w5d.

Oh and my first labor started natually.

doulala
by on May. 2, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Hope this helps:

When is that baby due? by Henci Goer

"When researchers in the late 1980s followed a group of healthy, white women with regular menstrual cycles, they discovered that pregnancy in first-time mothers averaged eight days longer than this, or forty-one weeks plus one day (2). The average was three days longer than forty weeks in women with prior births. The researchers also refer to other studies suggesting that other races may have average pregnancy lengths that are shorter than white women."

Early Due Dates Research Was Flawed

I remember a workshop/address by Barbara Katz Rothman at one of the MANA conferences in the early 80's and she did a retrospective examination of the 40 week due date and discovered that the research that was done to determine this "fact" was conducted during the early 50's when most women were weight restricted (told only to gain 15 lbs or so) and salt restricted. Her point was that perhaps the data itself was based upon a sample that was not "normal" and that the research should be redone with women who are encouraged to eat health. She herself thought that pregnancy was more likely 41 or 42 weeks. I think this idea was then published in one of her books, but i don't have all of them, it might be a place to start looking though. 

A prospective study comparing the Mittendorf-Williams Rule found it to be twice as accurate as Naegele's rule in predicting gestation.

UChicago Press Release - October 22, 1996

Computer Program Predicts Women's Delivery Dates - Medscape report on the Mittendorf-Williams rule software.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)