Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are sunburns worse during pregnancy?

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:04 AM
  • 6 Replies

Yesterday SO, his daugher and I went to an airshow.  We got to see the Blue Angels preform, it was an awesome day and the last trip we will take before the baby arrives.  Anyway, it was a cloudy day until about 2:30 in the afternoon, 65 degree's and I didn't wear sunscreen.  Last night I noticed we were all a little pink, put some lotion on when we got home and went to bed. This morning my face is sooo swollen and I have oozy blisters everywhere.  Theirs are tans this morning.  Are you more apt to get a sunburn while pregnant?  Are they usually worse when you are pregnant? 

by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
shamillionaire
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Wow I have no idea. I know my temp has been higher now that when not pregnant. I also know you can go tanning and such but you have to make sure your not over heating... I am sorry you got burnt so bad. I don't know what to say. 100% Aloe Vera to help soothe your poor skin...

BethPrice1345
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Yes. The hormones make you burn easier. Kind of like birth control can.

grapejelly
by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:06 PM

yeah... while pregnant your skin is more photo-sensitive....  so the sun can cause more damage....

meam4444
by Emerald Member on May. 3, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Oh my it doesnt sound very comfortable...I never really got a sunburn when pregnant.  I would increase your water supply to help your body heal from the sun exposure.

Stevied13
by on May. 3, 2010 at 11:25 AM

yes. with my 1st i was helping a friend with her rummage sale it was overcast.....i burnt my legs. i feel so crappy for a couple days. i got nausea and just exhausted. my baby was just fine....but i felt it for a few days. good luck! and don't forget the sunscreen...overcast is the best weather to get burnt in.

MummaNik
by on May. 3, 2010 at 11:27 AM

My last pregnancy I went to Florida at 32 weeks and got my belly sunburnt. It was SO itchy and red and awful. Normally I don't react this way to the sun during pregnancy, My theory was that because my skin was stretched on my belly it made it more sensitve. Thanks to hormones I think you skin all over is just more sensitive!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)