Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ok so I have maybe a dumb question

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 2:51 PM
  • 4 Replies

I plan on breastfeeding this time around. My milk never came in last time. So maybe if I start "pumping" at around 35 or so weeks will that give me a better chance of my milk coming in strong?

expecting babytoddler boy

by on May. 2, 2010 at 2:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
orange4agua72
by on May. 2, 2010 at 3:05 PM

NOT a good idea! The clostrum is the best stuff for the baby and that's what comes out before the milk comes in. I'd try calling a lactation consultant or the LaLache league and see if they have any ideas for you! Have you checked out the BFing group on here, they're really helpful too. Also, it could be comepletely different this time around, just like every pregnancy is different, so are the after affects of it! GL mama! 

Ciela_n_ajs_mom
by on May. 2, 2010 at 3:29 PM

colostrum will come no matter what, the more she pumps the more her body will make so its actually nto a bad idea; the only part that is bad is starting at 35 weeks, pumping can cause labor, so youd wnt to start around 38 weeks, your dont want a preemie!

Quoting orange4agua72:

NOT a good idea! The clostrum is the best stuff for the baby and that's what comes out before the milk comes in. I'd try calling a lactation consultant or the LaLache league and see if they have any ideas for you! Have you checked out the BFing group on here, they're really helpful too. Also, it could be comepletely different this time around, just like every pregnancy is different, so are the after affects of it! GL mama! 

ErraticMom
by on May. 2, 2010 at 3:56 PM

Good Luck getting hold of someone at LLLI.. I have been trying for over two mths now because my milk never came in with my last two preg and I wanted to see if I could get a jump on it this time... One lady emailed me and said she would get back to me but she never did so I re-mailed her and still nothing.. I have called everywhere and talked to everyone I know to and I couldnt get any help at all.. I certainly hope you can find better help than I have been able to...

Renae...

doulala
by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Do you know what happened before?
Were you healthy, hydrated, nourished, stressed, rested, "rooming in"?
Did you have help, support?

Pumping prenatally will not boost your supply~    and could trigger early labor.
Better to educate yourself and surround yourself with help instead.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)