Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

dads with little girls and potty issue

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:32 PM
  • 10 Replies

Poll

Question: should a father beable to take his little girls in the ladys room if there is no family restroom around?

Options:

yes

no

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 23

View Results

i was reading an artical on msn.com and this is what the father was asking....

I am a father of two beautiful daughters, ages 1 and 4. We spend a lot of time outside, in parks, museums, and restaurants. And, of course, they often have to go to the restroom accompanied.

I often wonder whether to take them to the men's or women's restroom. I used to always go to the women's—it's cleaner, and they don't see men peeing.

I am always apologetic if there is a woman in the restroom, but it is honestly never a problem, and they always say, "Oh, never mind, that's normal"—the several frowns and protests always came from men. This really led me to think about it.

I still think that we should go to a ladies' room. I mean there is really nothing to see there, is there? And after all, my daughters are young ladies, so why should they not go to a ladies' toilet? What do you think?

i think if i saw a man in the ladys room with his girls i would understand. but only if there was not a family restroom around. what do you ladies think

by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
__bcnp
by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:35 PM

That is a very good question and I would much rather a father take his daughter(s) to the ladies restroom rather than the men's now that I think about it. But, I think all places should have a family restroom just to make it easier.

Sweet_Britt
by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:35 PM

I dont think I would care if he has little girls in tow and there isnt a family restroom.

I wouldnt want my little girl going in the mens room either, they just generally arent quite as clean as the womens.

Pregnancy%20ticker

lette_with_2
by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:36 PM

i know i would much rather my hubby take my 3 year old in the ladys room instead of her goin into the mens room and risking her maybe seeing something she is too young to even think about

JHall
by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:43 PM

DH takes our DD to the mens room he feels odd about even taking her in there but if I'm not with him what choice does he have.  I think some would freak to see a guy in the womens room and I have made DH take her to the mens room before if the womens room is on the nasty side.  I always ask him how does the mens room look if that happens cause I'm not in any way going to let her use a nasty bathroom.  ALL places need to have a family bathroom in cases like this it makes men more comfortable taking their DD's to the bathroom knowing that both men and women do go in them.  Now what bugs me is when someone uses the family bathrooms and they have no kids they do it only casue the one they went to is being cleaned so they use it instead.  They have no kids with them why use it when it is for a family.

lette_with_2
by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:47 PM

i agree all places no matter if it is walmart or the mall should have family bathrooms, but if i saw a man in the ladys room i would def ask him why he is there and if he said he had a daughter goin potty it wouldnt bother me, but only if there was no family restroom

Randi02
by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:47 PM

I take my son into the womens washroom, so I wouldn't have a problem with a father bringing his daughter in there.

I know that women can be creeps too, but guys piss everywhere and I wouldn't want anyone catching a glimpse of my little girl. My kids are bad for not pulling up their pants when they walk out of the stall if they have something to tell me. lol

Most places have a family, or handicapped washroom. Those are what we use because we all fit into them.

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO and one on the way! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

AddyLeigh
by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:52 PM

I agree, I would see that more appropriate to be honest. All the ladies in the ladies room use stalls w/ doors locked anyway, so it's not like the father would be seeing anything anyway. The few times I went into the men's bathroom as a kid (like when the women's was out of order), they always kind of creeped/grossed me out, lol!

lette_with_2
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:44 PM

me too addyleigh

veganimal
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:45 PM

That a tough situation. We have a daughter and that is something that I have never even thought about before!

LiznShelk
by on May. 2, 2010 at 6:03 PM

Quoting Sweet_Britt:

I dont think I would care if he has little girls in tow and there isnt a family restroom.

I wouldnt want my little girl going in the mens room either, they just generally arent quite as clean as the womens.

That is actually not true. Ask any person who has cleaned restrooms from your typical walmart to your high end restaurants and they almost always say women's rooms are disgusting. I know I've held my pee many a time because the womens bathroom was so bad lol. Anytime I've used a men's restroom it's really clean.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)