Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tell me about your Family!

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:47 PM
  • 4 Replies

I thought it'd be fun to hear about everyone's families! The one you were raised in and the one you created!

Basically, I want to hear;

*Where you came from (your family life growing up.)

*how it's different/similar to your current family life.

Of course, there are so many stories out there that I couldn't list all of the possibilities, so share your personal story to the max.

My own immediate family is very confusing. My mom and dad had me and my 2 brothers (my only "real" siblings.) Then my mom went off and had 2 kids by 2 different dads (half siblings.) When I was 17, my mom met my stepdad who had 5 of his own kids (step siblings) and they (mom & stepdad) had one more (their last) together (half sibling.) Altogether, I have 10 siblings! Whew! 

I have been a single mama to my son his whole life. My son's father, whom I did not have a relationship with, is a complete and utter deadbeat. However, my son has 2 half siblings from his father's side.

So with my lil guy, and my SO's 4 daughters, the one in the oven is going to have 5 half siblings waiting for her. Altogether, we will have 6 kids!

Of course, I don't refer to any of my siblings as half or step, they are my brothers and sisters, and so it is with my son. He knows the one in the oven is his baby sister, and he will never hear me say, "this is your half sister."  But whether I intended to or not, I have definitely recreated the blended family!

family in the van

Mommy to a 6 year old boy, and expecting a girl!

by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
millermom07
by on May. 2, 2010 at 6:05 PM

I have 2 brothers and 1 sister, I am the baby.  I was raised by my mom and dad, until my dad died when I was 10.  My mom remarried, when I was 14 and I have a stepbrother and stepsister that I have never met.  My stepdad died when I was 21.  I have 3 children from my first marriage 2 daughters and a son that we adopted.  My ex husband has an older son that me and my children have never met, but my children do know they have an older brother.  My son also knows that he is adopted and that he has an older sister and a younger brother... he's met the sister, but he was way too young to remember, but I am friends with the younger brother's adoptive mom and she is in contact with the sister, so I'm hoping to one day get them all together.  My hubby now has no kids of his own.  So once this one is here, we'll have 2 girls and 2 boys :)  My kids only refer to each other as brother and sister, not adopted brother and this will be their brother, not half-brother.

On a funny note, my hubby is black and my 3 kids are white, so once in school, my son's class was discussing differences and he said "my dad is black."  The teacher asked me about it later because she said she just looked at him like, there is NO WAY that he has black in him, so she just said "ok, that's nice." lmao

Ammie25
by on May. 2, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Quoting millermom07:

On a funny note, my hubby is black and my 3 kids are white, so once in school, my son's class was discussing differences and he said "my dad is black."  The teacher asked me about it later because she said she just looked at him like, there is NO WAY that he has black in him, so she just said "ok, that's nice." lmao

That's hilarious! laughing

Adorkable87
by on May. 2, 2010 at 7:02 PM

the family i was raised in isnt the best: my mom and dad divorsed when i was 4 he had 2 more boys with my step mom. with my mom he had me and 1 other brother(hes the oldest) so counting my self theres 4 of us... 3 boys and 1 girl. when i was 8 our dad was murdered, shortly after my mom got lups and my oldest brother got addicted to drugs. my mom then got addicted to her pain meds, and they continued to yell at me all the time. no one ever knew i wouldnt ever let friends come over and i kept my grades up. when i became age to drive i started dating i wouldnt allow them over either. althoug my DH bf at the time never listen to me and saw what i was keeping from him.

so by that time i was in college and he was military he asked me to move in with him, i never knew a life i could have had sooner if i just left. my HD never yelled at me even if he was mad he would just simply talk to me, it took me a while to open up but now. im married, i dont live near my family at all, and im pregnant. im the happiest iv ever been! :D

*note*

my youngest brothers live with their mom, they arent stuck with being yelled at.

Ballababy177
by on May. 2, 2010 at 7:12 PM

I am the oldest of 5. My youngest brother is a 1/2 brother. I also have an older 1/2 brother from my dad that I just found on myspace a few years back....

My mom has been a single mom since I was 5yo (I am 21 now). She had me a week after her 18th bday. I have 2 sisters and 2 brothers from her. My dad was never in the pic because he was in n out of prison. As it is, he is still in there and wont get out until my dd who is almost 3 will be a young adult.

My life is different... Although I got pregnant and had my dd at 18 like my mom did, my dh and I married when he was 17 n I was 18. My parents and his parents did drugs n drank. BADLY! Neither him nor I do drugs, and we drink maybe once a year and away from our kids. We are on our 2nd kid. A ds due in July. And although my mom waited till she had 5 kids (in a shelter, and living off welfare) to get fixed, we have decided to get fixed after ds is born because we know we will never be able to provide for more than that.

Both his parents and mine abused the system when it came to living off food stamps and welfare. We only used it when dd was first born, and when dh's company layed him off over a year ago. We have proudly been off all assitance ever since.

(Nothing against people who are on ne of it. I am just proud to be off it because our families said we'd never be able to be off of it.)

Also, neither his parents nor mine have ever attended college and dh and I both start this sep. Him to become a cop, me to become a pediatric nurse.

So, I feel like we live very differently than my family. Although now, my mom only has 3 kids to care for and has a nice job, she doesn't own a house nor is she able to get out of her debt and cant get her dream job due to her old drug use...

DH's family is horrible... MILs kids are all grown and doing their own thing. SIL is doing great, just had a dd last month. BIL is doing bad, we are talking about having an intervention due to his excessive alcohal and drug use. He lives w/ FIL and FIL's gf and her kids. All of them (Including FIL and his gf) use alcohal to excess and drugs. None of them want to better their livs and none of them (including MIL) support our dreams of going to school and buying a safe, beautiful home for our kids... They are white trash.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)