• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How have you "educated" your mom or any other friend/family member?

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:51 PM
  • 6 Replies

So this meant as more of a light hearted post, but you can post anything you want. :)
Anyways, when thinking of how I have "educated" my mom, I think of the time when she said that all women's most fertile time is right after their period. Of course, that isn't the case and had to give her some facts.
Another time is when I was pregnant and buying clothes for my baby boy. I bought this cute little shirt that said "mommy's little monster" and my mom (being Hispanic and not knowing a lot about American sayings) got upset because she thought I was calling my unborn child a ghoul. LOL.
So how have you educated others in your life?

by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
starrymonkey
by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:59 PM

A while back, a girlfriend and I took my little sister out for sushi for the first time.  Our favorite place has a little river around the bar, and the plates float by on boats - they're color coded, and that's how you price out what you're eating.  So my sister is just sort of experimenting, trying things here and there, picking up plates that look good.

About twenty minutes into the meal, my girlfriend makes a comment about all the eggs on my sister's plate (they'd fallen off a couple rolls she'd eaten).  Suddenly, my sister's head snapped up, the color drains from her face and she screeches "Those were EGGS?!  FISH eggs?!"  And I say "Well, yeah, what on earth did you think they were?"

She then replies "I thought they were SPRINKLES!!!"

We've been calling her sprinkles for two years now.  I actually thought I was going to die laughing

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Proud mom to a Sensational kid with SPD

As a WAHM, I can help you change your physical and financial future!  Ask me how!

http://www.beachbodycoach.com/esuite/home/desireepurvis/

Miss-Baby-Baker
by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:28 PM

Lol, that was pretty funny! I have a similar sushi story, too. My husband, then boyfriend took me out for some sushi because he knew I liked it. He had never been to a sushi place, nor had he ever eaten any. So we are at the restaurant and he looks at the menu to see what looks good. He decides that he wants the tuna roll. Anyway, it turns out that he thought the tuna roll was made out of Starkist tuna, not actual sushi grade tuna. Lol.

Megara
by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:55 PM
Oh I have so many with DH! He's a genius, but when it comes to common sense he is lacking a little bit. When we first started dating (when we were both in college), I had to teach them the difference between laundry detergent and fabric softener (he had just been using fabric softener). I have had to teach him all kids of etiquette, including the proper amount to tip, how to cook just about everything (he once boiled chopped onions instead of sauteing, he also once substituted strawberries for tomatoes in a sauce because hey, they are both red fruits). What else...
Mrs.BAT
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:37 PM

I did about midwives (to several people in my family) because I was so horrified to find out I couldn't have one and a home birth (assisted home births are illegal in my state). No one understood why I wouldn't want to have a baby in a hospital. Plus, I'm an aspiring midwife myself. I also once had to explain to my grandma what a female condom is and genital warts and herpes and several other not so pleasant topics lol. Thankfully she's still pretty young and hip (she'll be 67 this year, looks 40 at most and acts 30 lol).

Oh and I've had to explain to two different people on different occasions this month what a golden shower is and snowballing. In high school (junior year) I had to explain a clitoris, erection, ejaculation, tampon usage and some other anatomy related thing to a friend. I think about a month ago I had to explain to my husband that hemrroids don't always go away after pregnancy if you get them then... That was a fun topic since I'm weird about bodily functions lol. The man's a genius and has absolutely no life smarts or common sense.

tel4him
by on May. 3, 2010 at 9:30 PM

When I was pregnant with my first, I had to educate my MIL about natural childbirth.  She really thought I would be knocked out and have c-sections like she did.  She could not understand why on earth I would actually want to be awake! It was pretty funny!

Theresa, proud homeschooling mom to Ellie, age 8, Ian, age 6, and...

Megara
by on May. 3, 2010 at 9:44 PM
Oh, and a few months ago I had to tell my best friend what a dildo is. And her husband is one of our ministers!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)