• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

products you use now can affect your baby

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:56 PM
  • 9 Replies

Hello moms, I'm just writing this post to let you all know to check your cosmetics on www.cosmeticsdatabase.com a study showed

WASHINGTON, July 18-Traces of pesticides, industrial byproducts, and mercury were found in the umbilical cord blood of all 10 newborns in a small study. The significance of the findings remains unclear.

The short- and long-term health effects of these toxins, if any, are not yet known, nor is it clear at what level these chemicals become dangerous, the researchers said. Nevertheless, the report, conducted by the Environmental Working Group, a nonprofit research organization, provided a glimpse of the hazardous chemicals fetuses might be exposed to while in the womb.

By Katrina Woznicki,
Published: July 18, 2005
Reviewed by Zalman S. Agus, MD; Emeritus Professor at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine .

the environmental working group is the same group that hosts www.cosmeticsdatabase.com another web site about toxins in the every day products we use like lotions, toothpaste, mouthwash, soap, shampoo and conditioners is www.toxic12.com.

I invite you to go to www.myxango.com/sarahtdowning and/or www.xango4543.blogspot.com 

by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
ready_for2
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:57 PM

i only use all natural organic!! and sometimes just make my own! (from natural and organic ingredients)

Ammie25
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:02 PM

Glad I don't wear make-up! In all honesty, I don't even know how to apply it! LOL.

makeup

sarahtheresa
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:11 PM

scary thing is its not just in make up, but like shampoo, body lotion and every day products. If you go to www.cosmeticsdatabase.com then you can check the toxins. I get freaked out by the fact that johnsons baby shampoo original is a 5.

sarahtheresa
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:14 PM

Thats awsome that you make you stuff. I get so busy during the day. I still think its a good idea to check things you buy from the supermarket on the data base.

SillyJessi
by on May. 3, 2010 at 12:38 AM

Great reference.  because of info like this I quit using "industrial strength" cosmetics and other stuff like makeup, shampoo, lotion, conditioner, toothpaste, face wash, hand soap, dish soap, house cleaners, etc.  Anything with an ingredient I can't pronounce or recognize, I don't put in or on my body, baby, pets or home.

That said, I saved a LOT of money when I basically replaced all those items with

*baking soda
*vinegar
*tea tree oil
*essential oils like lavendar, eucalyptus, sage, peppermint, orange, lemon, etc
*Dr. Bronner's soap

...and that's it.  those 5 things keep my entire house, body, dishes, babies, and laundry clean and "smelling fresh"

:D

suoicerp21
by on May. 3, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Thanks for sharing! I try to be really careful about the products I use, too.

palemoon21
by on May. 3, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Quoting SillyJessi:

Great reference.  because of info like this I quit using "industrial strength" cosmetics and other stuff like makeup, shampoo, lotion, conditioner, toothpaste, face wash, hand soap, dish soap, house cleaners, etc.  Anything with an ingredient I can't pronounce or recognize, I don't put in or on my body, baby, pets or home.

That said, I saved a LOT of money when I basically replaced all those items with

*baking soda
*vinegar
*tea tree oil
*Dr. Bronner's soap

...and that's it.  those 5 things keep my entire house, body, dishes, babies, and laundry clean and "smelling fresh"

I second this!!!! We've been doing a transition of making our entire house chemical free. It's alot easier then I thought it would be!

Alyssa1988-21
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2010 at 2:19 PM

the pepoermint oil Dr. Bronner's Soap is really good to use on your dogs if they have fleas or if its really hot outside

Quoting SillyJessi:

*baking soda
*vinegar
*tea tree oil
*Dr. Bronner's soap

Join General Chat its a group for nothing but chatting, venting, ranting, basically whatever you want!!!!!
sarahtheresa
by on May. 27, 2010 at 12:01 PM

wow guys thank you so much for your comments! Im really glad people are becoming aware that companies will put anything in their products.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)