• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

please tell me this is ok.. (wow this ended up long)

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:00 PM
  • 30 Replies

so my mom is an RN and when she see's my cats all she can think about is bacteria being around the baby.. our baby isn't due until Sept but she is urging me to get rid of them now so that when i do have the baby she won't get sick.

and let me be honest, my husband was deployed two weeks before i found out i was pregnant, and for the first 5 months of my pregnancy i stayed sick so i have had pretty much no motivation to clean my house.. i moved back to my hometown when he deployed but seriously where i'm at doesn't feel like home without my husband here.. seriously though other than being pregnant i've just thrown myself a pity party and just sat in bed half the time, or when i do get out i don't stay at the house.. anyways, there is my poor excuse that my house, which stayed clean while my husband was home, is now not so clean. its nothing that any officials would need to be called about, it really just needs a good dusting and wipe over and a little decluttering, but i'll be moving in about a month anyways to go back to the base to wait for my husband..

but my mom thinks that i'm going to be a horrible slob and that huge chunks of cat hair will be floating around my house just waiting to fall into my babies house.. i'm not trying to bash my mom because i know she has the best of intentions but i love my cats.. especially the older one.. he is only like 3 or 4 but i've had him since he was born.. i picked him out and raised him.. before my husband this cat was like my best friend and everytime my husband is out for training or deployment this cat is by my side... plus my cat doesn't like men, but the second he met my husband i knew he was a keeper.. he went straight to my husband and ignored me.. i was shocked.. i have another long haired cat which my husband and i adopted last june... i might could get rid of him even though i really don't want to because he is such a loving cat.., but the older cat i just can't imagine living without.. i mean seriously there have been days i've left a party or something early because i just missed my cat.. which is pathetic i know but i freaking love my cat..

so somebody please tell me that its ok to keep a cat with a newborn baby.. i plan on keeping the house clean and no letting the cats in the babies room, especially not in the baby bed.. i keep their shots and flea meds updated.. so is it safe?

by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tys0803
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:04 PM

I have a friend who has 5 cats and she lives in an apartment..her son has never had anything but a cold and he's over a year old...you just have to keep them well groomed, cleaned up after and I have a crib tent on the crib because I am expecting and have 2 cats...It's fine  really as long as you clean up well after them

Fetters4
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:07 PM

I have one cat and I have had no issues with him or my child. Just make sure you keep everything clean and dont allow the cats on the babys stuff it will be fine.

mrsniebo
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:20 PM

I've heard that owning pets can help prevent children from developing allergies to them, but I could have been misinformed. I can understand not wanting to get rid of a cat that you are really attached to and know many people that have had babies and cats in the same household. My only real concern with having a house cat and a baby on the way is I worry about the baby (due in September) finding the litter box when she gets old enough to get into things. However, our cat is about 12 years old and is indoor/outdoor, so if he lives that long he may become a strictly outside cat at that point.

EllaEnchanted04
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:24 PM

Having a cat isn't a problem and they actually say having animals in the house and around infants help them to have less allergies when they get older. It's the litter box you need to be careful of right now you shouldn't be cleaning it and if you really have to wear a mask.

lette_with_2
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:26 PM

yes as long as you keep your house clean and not too much cat hair around the house it is fine, my friend has 2 or 3 cats at her house and the baby is perfect and has never gotten sick cuz of the cats

JHjelle827
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:30 PM

I also had two cats when I had my daughter and I will still have two cats when I have my son in a few weeks. As long as you keep things clean, keep the litterbox far away vacuum and dust regularly and wash your hands thoroughly after taking care of the litterbox and what not you should be fine. I had no problems with my daughter. Its probably more your mom being a lil over paranoid/protective and seeing how things are right now and thinking you plan to continue it. I understand what its like to not want to do anything especially when its to the point of being overwhelming. I think if you do a lil here a lil there not too much dont want to over do it but keep up what you get picked up you will feel alot better.. also seeing the progress you are making after its been a mess for a lil bit will make you feel better and motivate you to keep going. My house became absolute crazyness (I felt like but I am also hard core nesting) but I am on bedrest for medical reasons so I cant really do much but my hubby thankfully has been getting things done and its helped my anxiety and stuff seeing bit by bit my house going back to its nice neat clean unclutterdness. Getting our room set up for baby has also been nice... SOrry long response but just a few encouraging words.. hang in there keep your kitties you deserve some companionship and just do what you can to change things so you are happier in your house. I know I get depressed when everything is a mess and I feel hopeless to fix it.

JAIRATRACI

When I was pregnant with my oldest I was living with my ex's mom. She had a cat. This cat would sit at the edge of my son's blanket or bed and hiss at anything that would bother him. I don't think that cats aren't safe around babies.

Mommy to Thour Barden 02/02/02, Mikhail Reid 07/10/07, Liam Doyle 04/25/09 and Wyatt Alexander or Totari Jayne due 07/22/10

pregnancy week by week
lovemynutterbut

I had 3 cats when my daughter was born low and behold when she was 2 weeks old my female had a litter of kittens they r fine needless to say my daughter never got sick u just gotta keep the kitty box away from baby thats where all the bacteria and amonia come from youll both be fine ur mom needs to relax

victoriaherring
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:36 PM

thanks everyone for the encouraging words.. and keep it coming if you have any opinions or anything. i've stayed away from the litter box.. i have a neighbor that comes over every other day and cleans it for me.. and even now while i'm not the cleanest person in the world i vacuum every time i see hair on the carpet... i've just been over emotional this week.. plus i take it very personally when people talk about my cats..

ready_for2
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:36 PM

i have a cat and never had any problems

im getting ready to have baby #2 now, and still have my cat

shes great

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)