Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

laptop dangers

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:03 PM
  • 10 Replies

i know all electronics put off radiation and energies... is it bad to use a laptop on your lap while pregnant? i am on mine ALL the time...and ijust started thinking about this today, now i am getting worried!

by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stormy6669
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:04 PM

I hope not, I am on mine a lot too...

Lullababy
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2010 at 11:05 PM

I have been wondering the same thing.

Mama2lilGarrett
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:11 PM

From whattoexpect.com :

Balancing a laptop when your lap has lapsed isn't easy — but it isn't dangerous, either.  Though one study did show a link between the heat emitted from a laptop and a decrease in a man's fertility, most experts agree that such low levels of heat don't pose any risk to a developing fetus.  Neither is there a radiation risk to your baby from using a computer or a laptop.  But, to play it safe, keep the laptop on top of your lap (closer to your knees) and not on your belly (which would be a tough balancing act anyway).  After all, it's not called a bellytop. Even better, keep the laptop on a desk or table during your pregnancy — you'll end up with less back strain and fewer typos too.

SillyJessi
by on May. 3, 2010 at 12:31 AM

I don't usually put mine on my lap, it makes me feel weird lol.  I put it on a table.

if I *have* to I put it on a pillow or something.

Silvia1011
by on May. 3, 2010 at 12:32 AM

Hmmm... I hope it's not bad.  I'm always on this thing :P  It's usually on my tv table, but occasionally I'll put it on my lap on top of a pillow.

victoriaherring
by on May. 3, 2010 at 12:35 AM

lets hope not because i even balance mine on my belly now.. haha.. but from what Mama2lilGarrett said i'm not too worried now.

suoicerp21
by on May. 3, 2010 at 11:35 AM

I think that the more exposure you have to any kind of electromagnetic fields, the worse (especailly when pregnant). That includes laptops, cell phones, microwaves, WiFi... the list goes on and on. Ironically, I posted a question about EMF concerns just yesterday. No replies yet, so maybe there isn't anyone on these boards who is very knowledgable on the subject.

There are several articles about the dangers of EMFs on natural health expert Dr. Mercola's web site, for anyone who is interested: http://www.mercola.com/

Once my baby is born, I'm going to try to use my laptop when she's not with me or possibly purchase a protective "shield" of fabric to use with her sling. I will not use my cell phone while I'm holding her (I try to use it as little as possible already) - we got a home phone line just for this reason.

Personally, I believe these dangers are very real. I just don't always know what I can do about them!

missjudycube
by on May. 3, 2010 at 11:39 AM

I was scared to read this post titled "laptop dangers" because i have my laptop right on my lap right now..lol... but gald to know it's safe!!

ready_for2
by on May. 3, 2010 at 12:07 PM

these are the concersn i have too. i think i will post about this is the BIRTH IS NORMAL group...they always have a lot to say about the dangers of energies and stuff, especially ultrasounds, so maybe they would know more about this? if i find out anything i will share! :)

Quoting suoicerp21:

I think that the more exposure you have to any kind of electromagnetic fields, the worse (especailly when pregnant). That includes laptops, cell phones, microwaves, WiFi... the list goes on and on. Ironically, I posted a question about EMF concerns just yesterday. No replies yet, so maybe there isn't anyone on these boards who is very knowledgable on the subject.

There are several articles about the dangers of EMFs on natural health expert Dr. Mercola's web site, for anyone who is interested: http://www.mercola.com/

Once my baby is born, I'm going to try to use my laptop when she's not with me or possibly purchase a protective "shield" of fabric to use with her sling. I will not use my cell phone while I'm holding her (I try to use it as little as possible already) - we got a home phone line just for this reason.

Personally, I believe these dangers are very real. I just don't always know what I can do about them!

mommyto3bees
by on May. 3, 2010 at 12:36 PM

i never put mine on my "lap" so im not sure, all computers give off something so, i usualy put mine on a table or a tv tray

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)