Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

My husband won't strip my membranes

Posted by on May. 5, 2010 at 10:51 PM
  • 56 Replies

I'm 39 weeks pregnant and this baby is huge. It's time for him to come out! My cervix is still really high so it's hard for me to reach it. I've been asking my husband to try to strip my membranes and he won't. He just blew me off because he thinks it's silly and is suggesting he use something else instead. wink mini I was telling him that "somethig else" won't help, but he still won't do it for me.

Sigh...I guess I'll have to wait for the doctor to do it, lol.

by on May. 5, 2010 at 10:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissiHampt
by on May. 5, 2010 at 10:52 PM

actually the "something else" will help, and might actually be teh better option.....

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on May. 5, 2010 at 10:53 PM

Um, yeah. You need a trained doctor to do something like that. Asking your husband to do it could cause some serious harm to your cervix not to mention introduce bacteria that may give you an infection. He's very smart for not doing it.

ginger813
by on May. 5, 2010 at 10:54 PM

this

Quoting Pandapanda:

Um, yeah. You need a trained doctor to do something like that. Asking your husband to do it could cause some serious harm to your cervix not to mention introduce bacteria that may give you an infection. He's very smart for not doing it.

Chrissy9479
by on May. 5, 2010 at 10:54 PM

not trying to bash or be rude, but its probably better to have the Dr do it because he could accidently break your water and that probably wouldn't be a good thing. but don't fret, i was high and closed until about 2 days before i went into labor, i wasn't even dialated when i started having contractions and only 2cms when i went to the hospital. so he could be here sooner than you know!! you can always try the other too... it never hurts to try! :) hehe good luck momma!!!

MommaBoop922
by on May. 5, 2010 at 10:55 PM

I've heard the "something else" can help with inducing labor but if you don't feel comfortable doing that (which is understandable with the baby being so big and all that) then the doctor would definitely be the best option... lol gotta love husbands :-p  

Good luck and I hope it goes well :)

CafeMom Tickers
Abutcher
by on May. 5, 2010 at 10:56 PM

AH WOW.....I DIDN'T KNOW YOU COULD STRIP YOUR OWN MEMBRANES?   I MEAN IAM READING THE POST SAYING IT'S NOT REALY SAFE.....BUT HOW DO YOU DO IT AT HOME?

doulala
by Emerald Member on May. 5, 2010 at 10:57 PM

*Even the doctors accidentally break the water and then mom is "sentenced" to deliver or else...

If baby-body aren't ready yet there must be some reason.

Be careful and know the risks--

Good luck!

BaByMaMa27
by on May. 5, 2010 at 10:57 PM

Sex is better. The semen will soften you and help dialate :) I would NEVER ask my hubby to do that! lol. Just wait for your doctor, sweetie :)

Randi02
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2010 at 10:58 PM

You're only 39 weeks. Relax.

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO and one on the way! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

Army_Wife41
by on May. 5, 2010 at 11:20 PM

Oh wow. I know it is VERY hard to wait for baby to come...especially when you THINK it is a big baby. I say think...because you really have no way of knowing. I thought my DD was going to be huge...it sure felt like she was. She was born at 41w1d weighing 7bs 7.7oz. So not big at all...in fact very average...and a week late!

But please please please reconsider stripping your membranes. Especially if your cervix if hard and high. That is just asking for your water to break on it's own and labor to stall and end up with a c-section. It may not happen that way...but doing that really does put you at risk for it. Especially if your cervix is not favorable...as it sounds like it is not here. Stripping of the membranes really should be something done when you have to start thinking about other alternatives to a pitocin induction, IMO. It is just not necessary at 39 weeks. Like I said....your baby may feel huge to you...but he/she could be tricking you like my DD did. I really hope you reconsider having it done, at least until a little later in the pregnancy.

Good luck, whatever you do, know the benefits and risks first.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)