Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When do they check position?

Posted by on May. 16, 2010 at 8:38 PM
  • 15 Replies

There was just a post on breech vs not and I realized I've never been checked or told anyting. When do they usually check the position of the baby? When I had my u/s at 21 wks he was head down but the DR said he still has alot of room to spin around in there. I'm 30 wks now and I go to the DR on Wednesday so we start every 2 wks an appointment from here but usually she comes in talks to me asks how things are going and make sure I'm not swelling ect then its over... is it something I should ask her to check?  Also a little OT is when do they check to see if you've dialated? I've seen ladies on here who are only 20 something weeks saying they are already dilated 1.. They have never checked me to see that.. so when should they do that? This is my first so I'm curious on whats to come and what to expect.

Thanks!

Lilypie Maternity tickers

I'm pro life, circumcising, breast feeding, pro spanking Mom. I'm a ford driving, gun carrying , patriotic, conservative mom!  

by on May. 16, 2010 at 8:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
truealaskanmom
by on May. 16, 2010 at 8:42 PM

They usually won't check for position until 34 weeks or later because babies can turn right up to delivery, and people that are getting checked in the 20 weeks most likely had preterm labor symptoms of something along those lines.  Truly there is no need to check your cervix,  it does not give any good information it just makes you feel like your body is broken or gives false hope.  It is best to avoid cervical checks which can also lead to infection.

kittin002002
by on May. 16, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Im wondering the same thing.  My dr visits seem to be the same as urs.

CafeMom Tickers
mstevens10
by on May. 16, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Oh ok... Its a good thing that I don't know anything yet lol Thanks

yummy_mommy89
by on May. 16, 2010 at 8:44 PM

i ask every appt. she can tell by feeling my belly

Megara
by on May. 16, 2010 at 11:15 PM

My midwife doesn't do cervical checks - it tells you nothing.  HOWEVER, the day after my due date with my first baby, I ended up talking her assistant into giving me a cervical check, and I was 3 cm...took 3 more days to go into labor though.  I really wish I hadn't begged for it because those 3 days I was so miserable just waiting for something to happen and being so discouraged.

JsunkissedB
by on May. 16, 2010 at 11:16 PM

my doc started checking me at 30 weeks most i think start at 36 weeks.

blg5484
by on May. 16, 2010 at 11:27 PM

my doc did an ultrasound at 32 and told me she is breach he said he will check again at 36 to see if she has turned i started 2 week visits at 32 weeks and he will not "check" me till 36 weeks the rest of my appt to this point were just heartbeat weight fundis height that stuff this is my first too

i dont think you need to ask her to check the position if she is any good i think that she will know to check it because they need to know the baby is head down for you to delivered safest

blg5484
by on May. 16, 2010 at 11:30 PM

also we took our prepared child birth class  yesterday and they told us that you can be dialated for weeks and not have the baby that it doesnot indicate anything and it is VERY common for a first time mom to be dialated for weeks before labor  starts

Ati_13
by on May. 16, 2010 at 11:37 PM

You can check the position of the baby yourself by feeling around your belly.

That's how midwives tell the position of the baby.  It doesn't take a cervical check, it takes careful palpation of your abdomen.  If you have a hard time telling what's what in there, ask for a quick tutorial on palpation from your doctor.  A lot of doctors don't know jack about palpation, though, so if he doesn't, ask a midwife or doula in your area :)

My midwife has been noting the position of my baby since about 20 weeks.  You might be surprised what you can feel by poking around :)

doulala
by on May. 16, 2010 at 11:49 PM

I have fetal positioning through palpation at every prenatal appointment.   (IF baby is big enough to feel!)

But you can ask for a position is you're curious.
A little later on you might try Belly Mapping.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)