Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this totally selfish?

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:39 AM
  • 10 Replies

Ok so I'm thinking this is just the hormones speaking but I wonder if anyone else has ever felt this way.

So I just found out a week ago that I'm pregnant, blah blah blah...Ok so the thing is that I want it to be a girl soooo bad. Except if it is a girl I'm totally gonna get jipped on gifts. You see, my niece just had a baby girl back in January. I love both my niece and great niece dearly but I'm so jealous because I know I'm going to end up with all of her hand me downs if I have a girl. And what really bothers me as well is that my niece got so much attention from everyone when she was pregnant and I don't feel that I'm going to get that. We're only 5 years apart in age, she's 19 and I'm 24. But her and her boyfriend have a really bad drug habit and neither of them work. Whereas I have worked ever since I was old enough, I have a fairly stable life, and I don't drink or do drugs. I guess I'm just feeling whiny and under appreciated today, thanks for listening.

by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sweet_Britt
by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:42 AM

Why are you jipped on gifts, if you're getting her hand me downs?? Those are gifts, and probably not used horribly....lol. 

Id be thankful and take/use what I could!

Congrats on your pregnancy.

starrymonkey
by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:43 AM

I wouldn't worry about it - honestly!  I got a bunch of hand-me-downs when I was pregnant with DS, and yet I still ended up getting a ton of unexpected gifts for him.  And people fawn over pregnant women - it's just the way life is lol.  I'm sure everything will work out great.  Just focus on pampering yourself - forget worrying about everyone else doing it for you, and enjoy!

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Proud mom to a Sensational kid with SPD

As a WAHM, I can help you change your physical and financial future!  Ask me how!

http://www.beachbodycoach.com/esuite/home/desireepurvis/

MissSummer
by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:45 AM

It's gonna be like people are gonna feel like they won't have/need to get me as much because I get her stuff. Her shower was crazy, she had 2 trucks worth of stuff...I'm gonna get like a backseat full. I'm just being whiny, I know :(

Sweet_Britt
by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:52 AM

Oh, no worries hun, I totally know how you feel!!!

My cousin is pregnant with her first, Im on my 3rd, but have 4 years between my youngest and my new baby! We are fully independent and can afford to buy all the stuff, so people dont really think we need anything. BUT, its FUN to get stuffs for the baby!!!

My cousin however, lives with her mom with her new husband, and is having a baby shower and getting all her stuffs that way. I totally get that they need it more then we do, but, it DOES sting a little that we're not having one (we didnt have one for ANY of our babies).

Its not to say people wont buy things for Dylan at all, and I KNOW presents dont matter, but honestly, they are FUN...its fun and exciting to get new baby stuff!! 

Dont think you're being whiney!! I totally understand! Just try and keep any venting like that, in here...lol. Others might feel criticized and think you're being rude/whiney

Quoting MissSummer:

It's gonna be like people are gonna feel like they won't have/need to get me as much because I get her stuff. Her shower was crazy, she had 2 trucks worth of stuff...I'm gonna get like a backseat full. I'm just being whiny, I know :(

Pregnancy%20ticker

shamillionaire
by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:55 AM

With you saying they have drug habit I personally wouldn't want their hand me downs. But I understand your whine. It would suck! Luckily my family doesn't do hand me downs!!

PTBAAMom
by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:56 AM

selfish

Sweet_Britt
by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:57 AM

I TOTALLY missed that part....yeah OP, I dont think I would want the hand me downs either!!!

Quoting shamillionaire:

With you saying they have drug habit I personally wouldn't want their hand me downs. But I understand your whine. It would suck! Luckily my family doesn't do hand me downs!!

Pregnancy%20ticker

ryansmommy07
by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:12 AM

There is absoluetely nothing wrong with recieveing hand me downs !

MissSummer
by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Quoting shamillionaire:

And that's part of it too. They've never had to work for anyting becuse eveyting has been given to them so therefore they don't take care of anything. I've seen the babys dirty clothes lay in the floor for weeks.It's not like they're poor either_ they are financially bette off than me because his rich parents support them and their habit.

MommyRJ
by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:04 PM

feeling underappreciated is normal, especially when you are.

Im sorry :( i know how this feels tho...it sucks.

Just be happy your getting a baby, and everything will work out great.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)