Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can someone give me some information?

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:43 PM
  • 18 Replies

My WIC appointment is tomorrow and I'm really confused. I sound dumb but I looked everything up online and I guess I don't understand what they give you and what they don't give you because of all the measurements. Can anyone tell me some of the benefits they got or help me make some sense out of this? Thanks.

CafeMom Tickers
by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jordansmom810
by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:46 PM

I can maybe help you what state do you live in? i think its different everywhere.. but i can answer specific questions if you like....

MommaCory
by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:50 PM

Ohio. And I don't really need food benefits right now, I just need help with formula.

Quoting Jordansmom810:

I can maybe help you what state do you live in? i think its different everywhere.. but i can answer specific questions if you like....

LogansMommy0328
by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:54 PM
I'm on wic and its very confusing for prgnant moms they give you milk, cheese,peanut butter or beans, loaf whole wheat bread, juice,36 oz of cereal,14-16 oz brown rice or 16oz package of tortillas,tofu is a choice to,eggs a one dozen packege, tuna fish for fully breastfed mothers u get vouchers for fruits and vegies to.

Babies get formula they determain how many cans and there the small cans then they get baby cereals at between 4 and 6 months and they get baby food to at around that time I hope this helps you depending on your state it may be a little different so good luck just let me know if you have any questions
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LogansMommy0328
by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:55 PM
Toddlers also get food once they hit a certain age to
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaCory
by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:27 PM

Do you get all the stuff for yourself after you're done being pregnant? Or do you stop and only get formula and baby food for the baby?

CTRedSoxMom
by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:30 PM

It goes in stages.

They will encourage you to breastfeed, because it is best for the baby, and also much cheaper.
Baby food won't be included till after 6 months.
Baby cereal will be included after 4 months.
Food for the mother will stop once the baby is born if she is not breastfeeding.

Once the child turns 1, formula will stop, and they will give milk, cheese, bread, eggs, and those kind of things along with a limited amount of Juice.

Quoting MommaCory:

Do you get all the stuff for yourself after you're done being pregnant? Or do you stop and only get formula and baby food for the baby?

Danielle
ICAN
supporter, Cesarean Mother, Natural Birth Advocate, Breastfeeding, Attachment
Parenting, Baby wearing, Selectively Vaccinating, Pro Choice, Gay Marriage Supporting, Doula, Aspiring Midwife, Blogging
, Loud Mouth, Bitch, Democrat, Stay At Home Mom, Reformed Mormon, Chiropractic Care for Children Supporting, VBAC Supporting, Home Birth Supporting, Radical Mother of Two amazing little boys. Camden Kent and Benjamin Emil

Wright68
by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:30 PM

They give you checks that are good for 1 month. It will be a set of 3 checks and formula will be on them. It's about 10 cans of formula I think. They give you the amount that a baby will need at that stage of life.

CTRedSoxMom
by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:31 PM

It depends on the state. Some states give 12 cans, some 10, some 8 or 6.
It is not enough to feed the child for the full month.

Quoting Wright68:

They give you checks that are good for 1 month. It will be a set of 3 checks and formula will be on them. It's about 10 cans of formula I think. They give you the amount that a baby will need at that stage of life.

Danielle
ICAN
Parenting, Baby wearing, Selectively Vaccinating, Pro Choice, Gay Marriage Supporting, Doula, Aspiring Midwife, Blogging
, Loud Mouth, Bitch, Democrat, Stay At Home Mom, Reformed Mormon, Chiropractic Care for Children Supporting, VBAC Supporting, Home Birth Supporting, Radical Mother of Two amazing little boys. Camden Kent and Benjamin Emil

Jordansmom810
by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:38 PM

Quoting CTRedSoxMom:

Quoting Wright68:

I never ran out of formula once! So i guess it all depends on the child...

CafeMom Tickers
CTRedSoxMom
by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:39 PM

May just be in my area, but all the people I know have run out.
But then again, WIC is an assistance program, they aren't meant to give out enough formula or food to feed your child completely.

Quoting Jordansmom810:

Quoting CTRedSoxMom:

Quoting Wright68:

I never ran out of formula once! So i guess it all depends on the child...

Danielle
ICAN

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)