Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Greyhound with infant....

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:59 PM
  • 13 Replies

Well my soon to be MIL called yesterday and she wants to bring us down for thanksgiving. I don't really have any issue with it, I have never met his parents and we are having our first child at the end of September. They are offereing to pay because they know we have no way of doing that ourself. We live in Kansas and they live in Tennessee. I am 90% sure there is no way they are getting us plan tickets so that leaves a verry long trip on a Greyhound with a 2month old. I have never been on a greyhound and I am nervouse as hell haveing an infant on one for soo long.

Has anyone taken a trip on a greyhound with an infant? How bad was it?

CafeMom Tickers
by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
majikalmama
by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:02 PM
Idk but bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
truealaskanmom
by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:02 PM

OMG I would NOT do it.  Greyhound buses are super nasty and full of shady people.  It would be cheaper to rent a car and drive yourself and would take less time.  I won't travel on there without my kids let alone with them.  THey are super gross.  If you can take a train, plane, or rent a car I would do that but no way on the greyhound

ccouch24
by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:03 PM

I have never been on a greyhound. I am flying with a 2 month old though this summer so any advice on that will be great as well....BUMP!

bluebunbun
by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:04 PM

agreed

Quoting truealaskanmom:

OMG I would NOT do it.  Greyhound buses are super nasty and full of shady people.  It would be cheaper to rent a car and drive yourself and would take less time.  I won't travel on there without my kids let alone with them.  THey are super gross.  If you can take a train, plane, or rent a car I would do that but no way on the greyhound

truealaskanmom
by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Quoting ccouch24:

I have never been on a greyhound. I am flying with a 2 month old though this summer so any advice on that will be great as well....BUMP!

Get a moby wrap, and learn to change diapers on your lap quickly. bring lightweight clothes and warmer baby clothes you never know if it will be hot or cold on the plane.  I would get a window or aisle seat that way you have the most room.  

indiemommy20
by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:08 PM

yeah I definitely wouldn't ride a greyhound with a 2 month old. Thats pretty much asking for germs and a long long long very unhappy ride. I've rode the greyhound a fair few times and after the times I've had on them I definitely wouldn't bring my newborn on there at all.  I would either rent a car or get train tickets. The train is a little more expensive than the bus but wayyyy more comfortable and very scenic.

missylou90
by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Quoting truealaskanmom:

Like I said we aren't the ones paying. I would much rather take a plane of rent a car. SO has been on greyhounds before and says they aren't as bad as people make them out to be. I'm not really worried about the shady people thing. Just worried about the 16+hour trip.

CafeMom Tickers
XenaBeth
by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:11 PM

I agree with this. I took a greyhound from D.C. to OK and it took three days, and we stopped in the nastiest and shadiest places... plus some of the people on the bus were really weird.

I actually woke up once to the lady sitting behind me leaning over the seat and peeking into my bag, probably looking for cash or something she could pawn on the next stop... having a baby with me would have made the trip SO much worse.

Rent a car.

Quoting truealaskanmom:

CafeMom Tickers

truealaskanmom
by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Quoting missylou90:

Quoting truealaskanmom:

Like I said we aren't the ones paying. I would much rather take a plane of rent a car. SO has been on greyhounds before and says they aren't as bad as people make them out to be. I'm not really worried about the shady people thing. Just worried about the 16+hour trip.

I would talk to him, and have him ask if they can see if a train, rental car or plane would be comparable in price.  They are as bad as people say. and 16 hours would be excrutiating.  I would not take my newborn on there that is asking for and RSV infection 

missylou90
by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:52 PM

Quoting truealaskanmom:

Quoting missylou90:

Quoting truealaskanmom:

I would talk to him, and have him ask if they can see if a train, rental car or plane would be comparable in price.  They are as bad as people say. and 16 hours would be excrutiating.  I would not take my newborn on there that is asking for and RSV infection 

It would only cost about $500 for all three of us on greyhound and that is the price for 1person if we fly. There are no trains that go from Kansas to Chattanooga. I'm not old enough to rent a car and SO has a suspended drivers licence.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)