Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A mother's worst nightmare!!!

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 8:22 PM
  • 26 Replies

So yesterday morning i woke up and realized that my ds who is only 11 days  old had slept 11hrs without waking up to eat and his diaper was completely dry!! So i called his ped and they told me to take him over to the hospital to get checked out because he is still very jaundice.Well they do some blood work at the hospital and they come back and said they have some bad news. They said my 11 day old son had either an endocrine, metabolic or a heart problem because his potassium was double what it should have been and his sodium and electrolites were way out of whack.So immediately they got an ekg on him and redid the blood work. They told me depending on his ekg results he may be getting a helocopter ride to johns hopkins childrens hospital, So immediately i started crying. They made me wait 3 LONG hours to hear any blood work results and any ekg results. And i cried and held my little boy tight for those very long hrs!! Well finally a different dr comes in and tells me the best new i have ever heard in my entire life! Apparently the 1st batch of blood work that they sent out was clotted blood so it gave false results and my son is actually perfectly healthy and nothing was wrong with him! The only thing wrong is that his jaundice levels went back up and he sleeps to long. I swear when they told me something was wrong with him it instantly took 10 yrs off of my life from all the stress of thinking i was going to lose my son because potassium levels that are to high are life threatening! They still kept us over night and we just got home about an hr ago. They sent us home with a billie blanket and i am very happy to say my son is completely healthy and he is safe!and i finally was able to catch him smiling!!!! even though it's in his sleep it still counts lol

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

toddler girl                                 in love                               baby boy

Summer Lynne born 4-22-08    Holly and John married 10-28-07    Leo Harry born 5-13-2010

by on May. 24, 2010 at 8:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Megara
by on May. 24, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Oh my goodness, what a roller coaster ride!  I can't imagine...but I am so glad everything is ok!

Zhi
by on May. 24, 2010 at 8:25 PM

OH! I'm so happy to hear he's okay!!

mrsniebo
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2010 at 8:27 PM

What a cute smile! I'm glad things are better than they had anticipated. That must have been so scary!

CafeMom Tickers
ashley924
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2010 at 8:27 PM

wow my heart sank reading this! im sooo glad he is ok!

goodson_2008
by on May. 24, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Oh man I am so sorry you are going through this poor baby...

sjump25
by on May. 24, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Wow I am so sorry you had to go through all of that, but so happy he is okay!  He is adorable too, BTW.

majikalmama
by on May. 24, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Quoting Megara:

Oh my goodness, what a roller coaster ride!  I can't imagine...but I am so glad everything is ok!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meam4444
by Emerald Member on May. 24, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Wow!  I am so happy everything is well with him.  How scary!

MomNtheRes
by on May. 24, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Can you sue for making you worry? Lol- j/k, I can only IMAGINE the fear that was going through you! So glad he is ok :)

sparklebug86
by on May. 24, 2010 at 8:45 PM

aww... im glad all is well but how scary! Its horrifying to think that your child is sick and there is nothing you can do about it :(  

I hate how hospitals are so quick to give you the "bad news" without double checking...... when DH's grandson was born, the dr had long nails and somehow he ended up with a cut on his head. Well the cut turned red and started to look infected. The nurse told his mom that it was probably herpes and that everyone needed to be tested. DH and I were dating at the time but he called me hysterical because his ex wife said that he must have given the baby herpes because he caught it from me. LOL First off, I dont have herpes but, second of all it ended up being nothing but a scratch from the dr. Of course his daugter was upset thinking that her son had herpes and wondering how he got it. She accused her husband of stepping out on her, DH's ex accused me, DH and I fought about it. Oh it was all such a mess! Glad its over though! And im so glad your adorable little boy is well!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)