Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I find a midwife?

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:40 PM
  • 7 Replies

So with the knowledge that I might have to move soon i've been wondering...how can I find a midwife back home? I've googled midwives in the general area and I can find only one name and no further information. I am like dead set on having a waterbirth at a birthing center (I do NOT want to be in the hospital!) but I don't think there are any in my hometown. It would be totally crazy for me to drive 2 hours to come back to the one I have here....wouldn't it? Does anyone know of like a midwife database or something like that idk?

by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
grapejelly
by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:45 PM

i'm not sure of a database, but if you can find a birthing center near your hometown, you might be able to contact them to see what midwives deliver there.

MissSummer
by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:47 PM

There's nothing...that I can find anyway. Just obgyn's that deliver at hospitals

CTRedSoxMom
by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:49 PM

Well you would need to find a birth center in the area. Where are you looking?

You can find birth centers at (http://www.birthcenters.org/)

MissSummer
by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Quoting CTRedSoxMom:

Well you would need to find a birth center in the area. Where are you looking?

You can find birth centers at (http://www.birthcenters.org/)

Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for. Idk how I managed to totally not find that sight myself. But, alas, the closest birthing center is the one I'm going to now. Do you think it would even remotely make sense to drive the almost 2 hours back down here? I don't know how this stuff works, I've never been pregnant before, so sorry if I'm asking stupid questions

CTRedSoxMom
by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:05 PM

For a first time mother 2 hours isn't all that long.
The "average" first labor is over 18 hours, so you should be good.

If that was the birth option I wanted, I can say it would be worth it for me, but it is really up to you.

Quoting MissSummer:

Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for. Idk how I managed to totally not find that sight myself. But, alas, the closest birthing center is the one I'm going to now. Do you think it would even remotely make sense to drive the almost 2 hours back down here? I don't know how this stuff works, I've never been pregnant before, so sorry if I'm asking stupid questions

Danielle
ICAN
supporter, Cesarean Mother, Natural Birth Advocate, Breastfeeding, Attachment
Parenting, Baby wearing, Selectively Vaccinating, Pro Choice, Gay Marriage Supporting, Doula, Aspiring Midwife, Blogging
, Loud Mouth, Bitch, Democrat, Stay At Home Mom, Reformed Mormon, Chiropractic Care for Children Supporting, VBAC Supporting, Home Birth Supporting, Radical Mother of Two amazing little boys. Camden Kent and Benjamin Emil

doulala
by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:30 PM
Ati_13
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:08 PM

You can also find a registry of all the midwives in your state (not just the ones that register with one site or another) on your state's website.  Most midwives don't work out of birthing centers, though, those are few and far between.  How do you feel about a home birth?  You can definately find someone to accomodate you and the PP is right, 2 hours isn't all that far for a first time mom. 

Just start calling up all the midwives in the state and ask if they will attend you :) 

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)