Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So confused.. I want to know, but I don't!

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:17 AM
  • 6 Replies

Friday is my diagnostic ultrasound. Of course, it's a given I want a healthy baby. Who REALLY wants an unhealthy baby, right? We have a history of spina bifida in my family (my brother, my father had a brother with it). That will be the first thing checked even though my AFP came back normal.

But really.. I don't know if I want to know the sex! I mean, I do, but I really don't. Crazy, right? It's usually a cut and dry thing, either you want to know, or you don't. I have two gorgeous girls. I wanted to find out with #1, and with #2, I was kind of iffy at first, but then even before my ultrasound was scheduled, I had it set in my head I wanted to know.

With this one, I'm not so sure. I don't want another girl. I love my girls to death, I really do, but with the personality on DD2.. I can't handle another girl even somewhat like her. She's got her father's crazy/weird personality, but my temper, bitchiness, and stubborness. If I have another girl, of course I'll love her, she's my daughter, but I think I might be really upset if I have 21wks to stew on it. I think if I found out at delivery, I wouldn't have any time to be upset because I'd be holding her. Of course, I want to know so we can plan and buy clothes and stuff.. Ugh. Does any of this make sense?

I'm going to have the ultrasound tech put the sex of the baby in a brown envelope (you know, the big ones), and that way if we come down to deciding we want to know, we have the information available.. Am I the only one who will be really upset if the baby is one sex or the other? I know DF keeps telling me healthy is all we need, but as I said earlier, no one really sits there and asks for a sick/unhealthy baby.

I'm the best mom I can be. I don't expect you to agree with my parenting choices, lifestyle, or anything I do. I've got two beautiful bi-racial daughters (6/6/04 & 8/29/07) and am expecting an October Pumpkin!

by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
blg5484
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:25 AM

i think you will really be happy either way your dd2 probably has just been a little testy latley making you feel this way

socks_in_kansas
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:28 AM

i was the same way with my husband the night before my ultra sound i sat there and tried to pick names all night. i got a boys but no girls onces i finaly passed out i had a dream it was a boy. so when i went in to see the lady i told my husband and i todl him to me it was no suprises soemthing was telling me no girls. maybe u will be that lucky and a name would come to u and it will be the right sex. but if u get it in a envelope u will sit there and keep looking at it. maybe the ultra sound tech cannt the sex like my frist daughter she aways had her legs closed. the boy i have now just let his little parts hang out i asked her to know the sex before she started and she said she will try and she put the gel on and stuck it on my tummy and boom there was his parts clear as day. good luck maybe u can just tell form the ultra sound what it is and then no one told u u just seen it lol

ANandLPsMom
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:31 AM

LOL, no, she's been this way since she was born. Literally, even before she could talk/walk she had this personality. I'm stuck with it for the rest of her life, and thinking about teen years makes me want to cry!

I know in the end I'll be happy either way.. But I really, really don't want a girl LOL

Quoting blg5484:

i think you will really be happy either way your dd2 probably has just been a little testy latley making you feel this way

I'm the best mom I can be. I don't expect you to agree with my parenting choices, lifestyle, or anything I do. I've got two beautiful bi-racial daughters (6/6/04 & 8/29/07) and am expecting an October Pumpkin!

lovemynutterbut
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:31 AM

I feel u on this whole sitituation cause I have my girl and another on the way! If I get pregnant again I dunno if I wanna know for the same reasons lol GL the envelope might be a little too tempting! Id have them write it in ur file so if u really want to know or SO wants to know u can both go to the next appointment and find out together so hopefully one of u don't cheat and look without the other knowing!

meam4444
by Emerald Member on May. 26, 2010 at 9:52 AM

I think it is a great idea to have the u/s tech put it in an envelope.  It is normal to have feelings in regards to the sex.  I know it took me a few days to get used to what my first baby was going to be, and my hubby kept telling me as long as it is healthy too.  Which I so agree with and believe, but it took a few days.

grapejelly
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:27 PM

i hope everything looks ok on the U/S. good luck :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)