Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Quick Question!

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:54 AM
  • 10 Replies

I had a doctor's appointment yesterday and after I was done being examined, the doctor mentioned that he would have to do an examination "down there" at the next appointment. He said that all he had to do was swab my genital area with a q-tip. Well, I didn't even think to ask at the time, but I haven't heard of this test and was just wondering if any of you knew what it was for and if this is a routine thing.

CafeMom Tickers
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LexRamp

It sounds like your strep B test...no worries...it is normal!

MaNdYbEaR2010

gbs test

southernjess3
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:55 AM

group b-strep and for like a few STDS too. totally normal. done between 35-37 weeks. i had mine yesterday..

Pandapanda
by Amber on May. 26, 2010 at 9:55 AM

Group B Strep testing most likely- it's to see if you'll need antibiotics while in labor.

C.Gypsy
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:09 AM

Ok then! After I left the appointment I got all worried because I realized I hadn't asked what the test was for! Lol. Thanks guys! :)

Hisservent
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:11 AM

yeah, he'll swab your vagina and all down to your butt hole. Feels weird but it's normal. Then he should be examining you for dilation and effacement soon...that usually starts around 35/36 weeks.

Olivia Grace is on her way

pregnancy week by week Christian wahm to Aaron (3) and wife to TJ.

majikalmama
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Quoting Pandapanda:

Group B Strep testing most likely- it's to see if you'll need antibiotics while in labor.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
C.Gypsy
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Quoting Hisservent:

yeah, he'll swab your vagina and all down to your butt hole. Feels weird but it's normal. Then he should be examining you for dilation and effacement soon...that usually starts around 35/36 weeks.

That doesn't sound fun at all. Lol.

CafeMom Tickers
Megara
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Remember all testing is optional (even if they say it's not, you can always sign a waiver).  Cervical exams are optional, as well.

Quoting C.Gypsy:

Quoting Hisservent:

C.Gypsy
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Quoting Megara:

Remember all testing is optional (even if they say it's not, you can always sign a waiver).  Cervical exams are optional, as well.

Quoting C.Gypsy:

Quoting Hisservent:

I don't mind getting the test done. Everyone does it, so I guess I can make it through. Surely it can't be that uncomfortable because from what he said it is just like a swab from the outside.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)