• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Amnio question (UPDATE IN 8th RESPONSE)

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:05 AM
  • 10 Replies

I just found out that my 1st trimester down syndrome screen was abnormal and I need to decide what to do about it. I am meeting with my midwife later today to discuss the results and my options. I am 34 and will turn 35 two months after this baby will be born.

Can anyone tell me about their experiences with having an amnio? I am freaked out by needles (so much so that I did not have an epidural when my first baby was born) so the thought of having a needle inserted through my abdomen literally makes my skin crawl. 

Also the doctor who performed my ultrasound said that the baby's nasal bone was present and that it was a good sign but that the lab would not use that in their results. I've since learned that the absence of the nasal bone can be an indicator of downs but that it's not widely used in screening. Does anyone have any first hand experience with nasal bone development and downs screening? 

CafeMom Tickers
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
yummy_mommy89
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:18 AM

BUMP!

mylilprincesses
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2010 at 10:20 AM

i dont have any experience of an amino i do know they are risky for a m/c

Pandapanda
by Amber on May. 26, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Amnio carries a risk of miscarriage. make sure you research the test before you agree to anything. I would personally wait until your 20wk ultrasound and let them take all the measurements they need. They will be able to tell just by the diagnostic ultrasound if you have any real markers of downs.

Also- the tests for Downs in the first trimester have an extremely high rate of false positives.

ProLifeMommy72
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Those blood tests have a lot of false negatives. I did not do any of them because no matter how the baby turns out- it is still my child and will be loved. If your child later developed cancer,  autism or some other heartbreaking condition- you would still love him/her. If your baby does have Down's and you do not want it. There are plenty of couples waiting to adopt special needs babies. Abortion is a very painful death for the baby and that is something the mother has to live with for the rest of her life. Good luck. I hope that everything is okay :)

stellarluna
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:32 AM

everyone I've known to get that test and get a positive never had a baby with Down's.  Even so... it's still a precious baby and it's part of you.  I would personally skip the amnio and resume my excitement about a new baby!  A Down's baby is still healthy, IMO.  I've never known anyone to go through with the amnio, personally.

meam4444
by Emerald Member on May. 26, 2010 at 10:33 AM

I haven't gone through an amnio before, but I know it does carry some risks of m/c, as I see the previous repliers suggested.  Hope all is well.

tys0803
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:36 AM

The first trimester screening would never be a reason for me personally to have an amnio..my reasoning is because I have had several OBGYNs tell me that test is notorious for giving false results and that's why I wouldn't do an amnio for that reason...if I needed one to check on lung maturity because I needed delivered due to a complication that would be another story though

MaijasMom
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Thanks to everyone for weighing in. I am definitely worried about the risks of the amnio and the outcome wouldn't affect my decision to have the baby. I guess I am hoping for some ease of mind or an opportunity to prepare and find out what we are in for if this child will have downs.  It was shocking to hear that my risk factor went from 1/4500 when my daughter was born 18 months ago to 1/130 now.  My midwife said that the nasal bone and neck fold were both good signs and that sometimes the proteins in the blood are high for no reason. I have not made a final decision about the amnio and DH and I have a lot to discuss. I'd love to hear from anyone who has had an amnio (you can message me privately too if you prefer not to talk in a forum) just to know what it was like. 

tashangel31
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:07 PM

we had to have an amnio with our daughter not for your reasons but to check lung maturity. it really was not that bad. i didnt feel any pain. i actually thought there would be fluid squirting our after the needle came out...lol. it sisnt of course. i really think it is up to you. alot of ama woman do it just so they can know for sure, and i personally see no problem with that!!! its better to know and be able to better prepare for the needs of a special needs child than to not know. we have a special needs child and we actually didnt find out he was until he was 2...his are all mental and cognative!!!

sparklebug86
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:11 PM

This AND they have extremely high false positive ratings. I didnt have one done with either of my kids and I wouldnt if I was older either. If the test came back positive, what would you do anyway? Would that change you wanting to have the baby? If not, then why get the test? I know its nice to be able to prepare but, if you knew or thought you knew something was wrong, wouldnt that ruin the rest of your pregnancy?

Quoting mylilprincesses:

i dont have any experience of an amino i do know they are risky for a m/c

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)