• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mothering Instincts Trump Labor?

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:19 AM
  • 2 Replies

Poll

Question: stopping labor due to a sib

Options:

never heard of it, but it happened to me

heard but never happened to me

never happened to me, never heard of it

heard of it and it happened to me

haven't had 2 kids yet

other??

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 5

View Results

So I'm curious, those who already have 2+ children and went into labor naturally, did any of your labors get 'interrupted' by your mothering instincts?

Today is my EDD, and with my first baby I went into labor at midnight on her EDD. Last night at work I noticed regular mildly painful cramping/contrax, and it didn't abate as I drove home, and put our toddler to bed. I used www.contractionmaster.com to time starting at around 8pm, and my contrax were apparently between 5 and ten minutes apart and staying regular.

I called my doula and midwife around 9:30 to let them know I *might* be in early labor and they both agreed. They asked if I had tried checking if the labor would continue if I ate/drank/napped/showered/walked around. I told them I'd tried everything but napping, lol. Told them I would text if the pangs stopped or became more frequent.

Pangs continued with me walking around and drinking water often, 'til 11ish when I decided to try going to bed. I'd been in bed reading 'til around 11:30 when DH came to bed. We'd both JUST fallen asleep when we were awoken by a primal scream from my 2 year old DD. DH picked her up and walked her around soothing her, she was crying and wailing and pointing to her mouth saying "Hurt, toof owie dadda, Helb me peas!" We gave her some ice, then a bit of med, and she fell asleep again.

I passed out and so did DH. We both slept through the night uninterrupted by pangs.

I'm guessing my labor stopped b/c of the overriding stress of being woke by DD1 screaming?

Anybody have any insights?

Lilypie - (1IOX)

Lilypie - (RNjD)

Daisypath - (PwPI)

by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
meam4444
by Emerald Member on May. 26, 2010 at 1:29 PM

BUMP!

Daisymae6
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:48 PM

well, i might would think that labor could be interrupted briefly for mothering but if your body is really really ready i'm pretty sure it couldn't be interrupted for too long.  Hope it happens soon. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)