Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone had to be on painkillers while pregnant?

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:21 PM
  • 8 Replies

I suffer from a neurological type of migranes (they are called sporatic hemiplegic migranes if you would like to research them) that this pregnancy has thrown into full swing.  These migranes are usually extremely hard to diagnose because they are often confused with epilepsy or strokes.  When I am full swing in one I suffer from facial paralysis, loss of vision, loss of verbal skills., and loss of all coordination (basically if you didn't know better you would think I am having a stroke, it's exactly the same). 

With that being said, I have had a hemiplegic migrane going on 3 weeks now (there is no cure, regular migrane medicine can cause and ACTUAL stroke), and my dr has put me on a low dose of norco for the pain.  I absolutely HATE taking any sort of medicine while pregnant, but the pain is so intense I literally can not function without taking it sometimes.  I try to go as long as I possibly can without taking the pills, but sometimes I have no choice. Has anyone else had to be on painkillers while pregnant?  I am so terrfied, even though I have been reassured by every dr and pharmasist I have talked to.  But I would rather be in labor again, with no meds than have these headaches, I can't even describe the pain.

Any support or words of advice? Or similar stories?

by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Jemmy
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:25 PM

i took tylenol 3.

ohiomommy
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:30 PM

I have been on pain killers with almost all of my children, and yes i was afraid to take them but b/c of what I was going thru I couldnt function w/o them.  I say as long as your not taking more than what it recommended you should be fine.  For instance, with my son I had major back surgery before I even knew I was preg they did pregnancy tests before surgery and they all came back negative....and I was on so much pain meds then ya we wont even go there....when i got out of the hospital a month later i wasnt feeling right took a preg test and it was positive got to my ob and they did an u/s and said i was about 22-24 wks preg...I had to stay on a few of the meds to function b/c of the major surgery, but my son was born at 32 wks and didnt have any problems from me taking the meds....i hope you get some relief with the meds that you are on.....

tashangel31
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:32 PM

i have had gallbladder issues and a few times they have put me on a narcotic...i tried NOT taking them but sometimes it got so bad i had to!!!

RutterMama
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:35 PM

I had to be on a narcotic with my last pregnancy. I have severe arthritis in my R knee and I worked full time during my last pregnancy. With this one, I have been managing so far... but won't be surprised if I have to again. It did freak me out, but luckily baby and I were both perfectly ok!

cheeres
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:42 PM
I had several pain meds when pregnant with my son cause i was in so much back pain. He is now a happy 15 month old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meam4444
by Emerald Member on May. 26, 2010 at 12:48 PM

I have not, but just know your body is protecting your little one.  So, I am sure all will be well with your little one.

KandiApple2987
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:52 PM
I had to have my appendix out when I was 15 weeks preggo and i was put on Purceset (sp?) for the pain after surgery. It worried me to death but I'm 21 weeks now and off the meds and the babies are growing fine and are huge:) Don't worry mama!!
BooBearsMomma
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Ok, thank you everyone for the responses, they are making me feel much better!:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)