Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

testing..scared

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:37 PM
  • 9 Replies

First my oldest has been having developmental problems...well we just found out that he has a duplicate 2nd chromosome it's 2p11.2 exactly. i am 25 weeks pregnant with our second child and when i told my ob she referred me to a genetisicts ( sp) and highrisk ob's. she said they would to a high tech ultra sound and look at her and then decide if i need an amnio to test her chromosomes. i am scared i don't want to really have the amnio done i heard they hurt really bad but then again i do want to know if my lil girl has the same problems as my son. we and thier father have to get tested for the defect as well. so we have to go see the docs and then also take my son to see a genetisict. has anyone had to deal with anything like this b4? i just need some advice.

by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
SnoBuny
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:40 PM

I had to have an amnio.....I am terrified of needles....the amnio is nothing! If I had to have another I wouldnt stress it one bit!

housefullofkidz
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Sorry, I haven't had this before.  Good luck hun!

meam4444
by Emerald Member on May. 26, 2010 at 12:59 PM

I have not, but I hope all turns out well. 

AidenJaice12708
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:01 PM

BUMP!

Mishel73
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:06 PM

You can refuse the test.  If the test results wouldn't change the outcome, why have it done?  I'm just asking/curious.  I would think they could do the test after she is born??? 

I am currently dealing with developmental issues with my 20 month old and they want to possibly do genetic testing as well on her. 

Good luck, hope everything turns out ok.

CJsmama2008
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:16 PM

I had to have an amnio done and now I have to go in every 2 weeks to have fluid drained bc my darling baby will be born with Downs... My personal opinion would be that if you and your hubby are fine with having a child that will face certain challenges, don't do it.. i regret doing mine, bc the scares and the what ifs and everything else has stolen most of my pregnancy happiness away... I am constantly worried about this and that.... As long as they monitor you and the baby it should be fine.. After my daughter is born she will be rushed into surgery, but that was caught by a normal ultrasound, not by an amnio.... The amnio is uncomfortable but they aren't as scary as you make them seem in your own head...

AidenJaice12708
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:22 PM

they can do the test when she is born it is just a blood test called a microarry. me and my childrens father have to have one done to see if we are carriers or something. first i have to talk with genetic counselors and have a high tech ultra sound. then they will decide what to do from there it wouldn't matter i wouldn't terminate or anything i don't believe that way. i love my son even though he has so many problems and i will love aubri if she has problems i have a cousin who has downs so i know the challenges that comes iwth having a developmetally challeneged child.

joannarenay
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:29 PM

I would think they could wait until she is born to test her.  Unless they can do something to correct a defect (which they cannot if it's genetic) i don't see why the doctor would recommend you take the risks associated with having an amnio.  It is certainly your call, but personally, I would wait until she is born.

For your son with the delays, is he enrolled with the Infant-toddler program in your state?  They are specifically for ages 0-3 with developmental delays and are so much help!!  They do developmental testing, set up any therapists needed and even cover the costs of therapy.  Message me if you want to know more or search online for the infant-toddler program in your state. 

Good luck, momma!!

EDIT:  It is part of a Federal program that states are required to provide.  Once the child turns 3, the school system takes over providing the therapy (at home or daycare) that is needed and there is no cost involved in that.  It's an excellent program that I wish more moms knew about!!

AidenJaice12708
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:40 PM

yeah he is...here in bellefontaine ohio it's called the discovery center and they take kids up to 5 it's a developmental preschool they have therapists and do special testing. they are the ones i intitally took him to to get help.

Quoting joannarenay:

I would think they could wait until she is born to test her.  Unless they can do something to correct a defect (which they cannot if it's genetic) i don't see why the doctor would recommend you take the risks associated with having an amnio.  It is certainly your call, but personally, I would wait until she is born.

For your son with the delays, is he enrolled with the Infant-toddler program in your state?  They are specifically for ages 0-3 with developmental delays and are so much help!!  They do developmental testing, set up any therapists needed and even cover the costs of therapy.  Message me if you want to know more or search online for the infant-toddler program in your state. 

Good luck, momma!!

EDIT:  It is part of a Federal program that states are required to provide.  Once the child turns 3, the school system takes over providing the therapy (at home or daycare) that is needed and there is no cost involved in that.  It's an excellent program that I wish more moms knew about!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)