• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Intense Braxton Hicks

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:10 PM
  • 10 Replies

This just started today. I have been having braxton hicks contractions for weeks now. ususally whever i stand up from a sitting position. Today however, they got way more intense and all i was doing sitting. Has this happened to anyone else?

The don't necessarily hurt. They are just so tight, it kind of takes my breath away. Like i don't want to breathe when it happens. They aren't totally subsiding either. My tummy just gets less tight, but they are still there. Been about 2 hours of this so far.

Is this normal or should i be concerned?

I have also been having some vaginal pain, like up at the top. It almost feels like when someone hits you in the bladder when you have to pee real bad, only the sensation is vaginal and not abdominal. Not a bladder infection though. This sensation has been ocurring in conjuncture with the contractions and the baby's movements.

by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meam4444
by Emerald Member on May. 26, 2010 at 1:15 PM

How far along are you?  How many per hour are you having?

NoraDun
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Yesterday I started having some really strong contractions but mine actually hurt. I felt the tightness of the BH but I had the pain across my tummy along with cervical pain with every contraction. I am 34 wks so its way to early for me to deliver.

I am not sure how far along you are but if your close to delivery I would say your probably in the beginning stages. Which could mean you go anytime or you could still have a wk or two. If your earlier then 36 wks they say to let your Doc know if you have more then 5 an hr. That isn't realistice for me b/c with my last two pregnancies I had BH every 5 min for hours for most of my 3rd trimester!

CleverName1219
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Quoting meam4444:

I'm 34 weeks along. How many per hour? It's hard to say because they haven't completely gone away at all. I'd say in the past 2 hours i have 6 really intense (not painful, just breathtaking) contractions coupled with what i guess is cervical pain.

meam4444
by Emerald Member on May. 26, 2010 at 1:47 PM

I would say it is normal.  Your body is just exercising for the real thing.  As far as the vaginal pain, I would ask your doc about it.  Also, if the BH intensify or you would feel better talking to your doc (*with being only 34 weeks you probably should just call and let them know), dont be shy to call and ask them.

Quoting CleverName1219:

Quoting meam4444:

I'm 34 weeks along. How many per hour? It's hard to say because they haven't completely gone away at all. I'd say in the past 2 hours i have 6 really intense (not painful, just breathtaking) contractions coupled with what i guess is cervical pain.

mabelrose
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:47 PM

well it sounds like you should go get checked.. if they are taking your breath away... and this is what my ob told me... if you cant breath through them or talk through them they are not BH..  call your doc and see what they say.. you should have no more the 5 contractions an hour that are timeable as well but if they are not going away then GET CHECKED> 

CleverName1219
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:56 PM

thanks ya'll. i'm going to call my doc right now.

keun28
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:03 PM

im glad you are calling your dr thats what you should do. let us know what they say good luck to you!!!!

meam4444
by Emerald Member on May. 26, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Keep us updated.

Quoting CleverName1219:

thanks ya'll. i'm going to call my doc right now.

CleverName1219
by on May. 27, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Hello everyone! Everything turned out ok. I went to the hospital and they hooked me up to a monitor, did a stress test and gave me an ultrasound. My little Cadence weighs 5 pounds already! Surprising! My first daughter was induced at 34 weeks and only weighed 4 pounds.

I am 2 centimeters dilated, but they saw no sign of uterine irritability on the monitor so i guess i'm chalking it up to intense BH contractions. Thanks again ya'll!

5Shawty
by on May. 27, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Its normal you should tell your OB if you are having more than 4 in an hr but I had many more than 4 in one hr and it was normal my OB said, my BHs were horrible

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)