• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Strong Contractions...not sure if I should mention it to my Doc or not? Please read..kinda long

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:52 PM
  • 7 Replies

So yesterday I ran around alot. I woke up at 7:30 ( I normally get to sleep in a little later) after my nephew called me and said he missed the bus. So I had to run him to school. When I got home I worked online for a little while then I called and made an apt for my 4 1/2 yr old at the Dentist. I ran him there at 3 and made it back down the road just in time to pick my nephew up from band practice at 5:00. I had just gotten home when my nephew wanted me to take him to a youth group at a friend's church. Luckily my Grandmother took him to that so I got a shower and then started working on laundry!

Well I think I must of over did it!! I worked until 9:00 and I was very tired and actually kinda out of breath. So I layed on the sofa to fold socks and relax and the BH I had been having off and on all day turned into some strong contractions. BH really are common this point in my pregnancy and I haven't been paying them much attention but I actually started having painful contractions (the kind I had to consentrate through) They came about every 4-5 min and lasted for about 30-45 sec. My stomach tightened like it does with the BH but sharp pains actually ran across my stomach and lower back. I also had some strong sharp pains in my cervix. As soon as the contractions eased my baby girl would start moving like crazy! Just as I was getting a little concerned about the consistancy and pain of the contractions they eased off. For about 30 min after the painful contractions stopped I just had the tightning BH!!

So here is what I am trying to decide. At 31 wks I mentioned that I had been having a lot of BH (tightning without pain) and my Doc decided to check me. Which I didn't expect at all!! He also ran a test to see the chance of my delivering in the next two wks. That came back negative saying I had less then 10% chance of delivering in the next two wks. I have another apt next thursday at 35 wks and I don't know if I should mention it or not. I don't really want another vaginal exam. They plan on bringing back at 36 wks for an u/s and strep b test so he will check me then anyway. I am not sure if I should mention it or not....would you?

www.cafemom.com/group/TTCorPregnant

by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
NordicAngel
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:54 PM

I'd mention it (cuz I mention everything to my doc) but I'd likely refuse the vaginal exam... especially since they'll be doing one shortly anyway for the group b strep.

BlessedToBMommy
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:55 PM

I dont have the attention span to read the whole wall of text, but anytime you are unsure about something especially in pregnancy talk to your doc or go to ER, ALWAYS better safe than sorry, and NEVER think anything is too small or you are bugging them, if they act like you arfe bugging them get a new doc

CheyanneW
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:57 PM

I would mention it but that is because I am the type that wants to be checked.  Unfortunately my doc is the opposite of yours and is really reluctant to ever check.  I want to know if the contractions are actually doing anything or not.  If the contractions are helping my cervix to dilate I want to know.

jazzmennjazzyj
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:09 PM

I would call the doctor right away. You need to move up your test for the strep B test, just incase you go into labor early. You are far a long that it is safe to have your daughter now and with every pregnacy every thing is way different. I would not waist any time calling the doctor. I am on my 7th child. I am about 9 weeks with this one. baby gift

NoraDun
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Well today I am having alot more pressure and back pain (related or not WHO KNOW?) and generally I would want to be checked but with my last pregnancy I had lots of really strong contractions from 30 wks on and I never dialated until about 5 hrs into labor. So everytime I was checked I was kinda bummed that there was no change...if that makes since LOL

Quoting CheyanneW:

I would mention it but that is because I am the type that wants to be checked.  Unfortunately my doc is the opposite of yours and is really reluctant to ever check.  I want to know if the contractions are actually doing anything or not.  If the contractions are helping my cervix to dilate I want to know.

NoraDun
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Well my Doc has been keeping a pretty close eye on me. HE seems to feel this little one is coming early b/c according to test ran after my boys where born I delivered at 37 and 36 wks. According to my late u/s I was 39 and 38 wks. So my Doc think I will be delivering by 35 or 36 wks but up until now I don't feel like she is coming that early. BUT WHO KNOWS! LOL At my 31 wk apt my cervix was very high long and close but I was soft.

Quoting jazzmennjazzyj:

I would call the doctor right away. You need to move up your test for the strep B test, just incase you go into labor early. You are far a long that it is safe to have your daughter now and with every pregnacy every thing is way different. I would not waist any time calling the doctor. I am on my 7th child. I am about 9 weeks with this one. baby gift

Oh and after checking my cervix this morning my cervix is still high. I didn't check for dialation but I don't know if my cervix can dialate if my cervix is so high!

TAG_ur_it
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2010 at 2:16 PM

YES mention it.  that test is not always accurate.  never hold anything back from your OB.  what may seem like a few "little issues" may be something bigger when added up.  be sure to describe the contractions and the difference between them and the usual ones. and if anything happens between now and your appt.  CALL THEM and at least talk to the nurse.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)