Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dentist

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:12 PM
  • 11 Replies

Is it okay to go to the dentist at 5 months pregnant my doctor gave me a note but is there anyone who has and can tell me anything i might need to look out for

BabyName Ticker

by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meam4444
by Emerald Member on May. 26, 2010 at 2:22 PM

I have never been, but yes it is good to go to the dentist when pregnant.

Jmill907
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:24 PM

It should be fine.  Your gums might be more sensative and they probably won't do x-rays.  I went when I was pregnant and it was fine.

javidsgirl
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:30 PM

yes you can my dentist wont see mums past 37 weeks but you can get everything done but x rays

Megara
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Oral x-rays are fine, just ask them to double-apron you to make sure your belly is completely covered.  I had oral x-rays done at I think 25ish weeks.

LilMommy2B24
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Yes, it is completely fine! I am a Dental Assistant and as long as we had a note from any expectant mothers, we were able to do x-rays, but some of the Dentists were different and preferred not to do x-rays unless they saw a problem. They will at least be able to do a cleaning and oral exam.

kittin002002
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:48 PM

When I went they didnt do anything they checked my teeth and said lets see after the baby is born because we dont do x rays on pregnant women.  I was like "thanks for letting me waste an hour"

RadMama08
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:51 PM

Yes, it is fine. No panoramic x-rays, though the small things they make you bite down on are ok... My OB just said "NO NITROUS OXIDE" which is the gas they use to do the serious work...

NordicAngel
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:53 PM

I went not too long ago and it was fine.  I didn't get xrays and I need a few filings but my dentist said he'd prefer to wait until after the baby comes.  There were no problems... just the usual hygenist telling me I don't floss enough and she told me plaque can cause preterm labor.  No idea if that's true but didn't really appreciate her using it as a threat.

LilMommy2B24
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Quoting NordicAngel:

I went not too long ago and it was fine.  I didn't get xrays and I need a few filings but my dentist said he'd prefer to wait until after the baby comes.  There were no problems... just the usual hygenist telling me I don't floss enough and she told me plaque can cause preterm labor.  No idea if that's true but didn't really appreciate her using it as a threat.

I'm sure she wasn't trying to threaten you, and it's not the plaque itself that she meant. But more and more studies are showing that there is a link between periodontal (gum) disease and preterm labor. Gum disease is caused whenever plaque is not removed and hardens into tartar or calculus and infects the gums.The only way to prevent gum disease is not just by brushing but flossing daily. That's why more dentists and hygienists are urging pregnant women to get in the habit of flossing daily!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

jenbscott
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:15 PM

I'm almost 20 weeks. I had two wisdom teeth pulled and several cavities filled last week. I have to go back June 3 to get the other two wisdom teeth pulled and a few more cavities that need work. I had xrays but had a lead apron over my belly. Both my ob and dentist said that the second trimester is the safest time for dental work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)