• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For all our Doula's out there??

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:54 PM
  • 8 Replies

Can I dialate if my cervix is still really high? At my 31 wk apt I was checked and my cervix was high and closed but I was soft. I have been having contractions but my cervix is still very high. If I keep a check will my contractions have to drop before I will dialate? I am curious if I can use that as a warning sign to tell me that my contractions are doing more then being uncomfortable LOL

Also I should probably add my cervix was low at 24 wks but they ran by 31 wks LOL

www.cafemom.com/group/TTCorPregnant

by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
yummy_mommy89
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:55 PM

mines high and i dialated a 3 and my water broke. im sure its possible

kmama04
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:05 PM

BUMP!

Pandapanda
by Amber on May. 26, 2010 at 3:11 PM

BUMP!

meam4444
by Emerald Member on May. 26, 2010 at 3:11 PM

BUMP!

NoraDun
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2010 at 3:29 PM

bump

Ati_13
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:40 PM

It's possible.  The cervix does a lot of changing prior to the onset of labor (or during the onset of labor in some cases).  It softens, lowers, swings to point forward, effaces and dilates.  This doesn't always happen in a predictable pattern, though, and sometimes one thing starts before the others.  You're unlikely to have a lot of dilation without your knowledge.  If you're feeling like you're dilating you can ask to be checked.  I know you're worried about preterm delivery, so it doesn't hurt to call your doctor and ask to be seen if you sense something is amiss :)

NoraDun
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2010 at 3:45 PM

Thank you!! Well I am starting to feel like my Doc is causing me more stress and concern then need be. LOL If that makes since. I don't perticularly feel that she is gonna be here early but everytime I mention a contraction or something he wants to check and acts concerned. I was think not to mention the contractions to him if I could tell myself weither they were causing a change or not but I guess I will let him know and just let him do an exam. Just incase!

Quoting Ati_13:

It's possible.  The cervix does a lot of changing prior to the onset of labor (or during the onset of labor in some cases).  It softens, lowers, swings to point forward, effaces and dilates.  This doesn't always happen in a predictable pattern, though, and sometimes one thing starts before the others.  You're unlikely to have a lot of dilation without your knowledge.  If you're feeling like you're dilating you can ask to be checked.  I know you're worried about preterm delivery, so it doesn't hurt to call your doctor and ask to be seen if you sense something is amiss :)

www.cafemom.com/group/TTCorPregnant

truealaskanmom
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:04 PM

It is possible for it to dilate but if most likely won't efface completely until it reaches an anterior position.  If you think about a balloon if there is something heavy in the balloon pushing on it and the opening.  If the opening isn't right under the majority of the weight it won't give entirely, but that being said your cervix can move in record time.  It can be completely posterior and high one minute and then be low and anterior the next.  You shouldn't really worry about it.  From what I can tell about your doctor that he is very paranoid and drama prone. I think that your babies are not as early as he claims them to be, and that he is just causing more harm than good with you.  At this point your little girl is well on her way, and it is possible your babies don't need to cook as long as others if he is correct.  Try not to stress, and remember contractions happen, and if they aren't regular and painful they most likely aren't causing any harm.  Try and relax and don't let him get into your head. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)