Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Doula Help!!

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:27 PM
  • 4 Replies

I am using the hypnobabies program, and my husband is very very supportive, but I still feel the need for a doula, maybe its the fear that everyone who wants a natural birth has instilled in me about hospitals.  I have a doula I have been talking to about it, I need to put a down payment now and I need a list of pros and cons to help convince my husband I need this.

Photobucket
pregnancy due date
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
meam4444
by Emerald Member on May. 26, 2010 at 4:13 PM

I loved my doula, and I would always have her by my side no matter how I birthed or even if I had a c-section.  I guess for me just knowing someone who knows about all the drugs, procedures, ins and outs of having a baby, etc...is beside me through it puts so many of my fears at ease.  I always thought too if for some reason I had to have a c-section or something was wrong with the baby, just knowing I had someone there (if my husband went with the baby) was consoling.  Also, the doula is there for support before and after having the baby.  Mine stayed to make sure the baby was doing well nursing, etc.  I love my doula.  Sure I could birth without her, but just knowing she is there to support me and guide my husband through what is happening to my body (besides the nurses and docs) I found to be helpful.

palemoon21
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:52 PM

Doulas are wonderful and if you are having a hospital birth I would recommend one even more. :) By the way, isn't HypnoBabies great?

college.mom
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:41 PM

I love my HypnoBabies, I have never slept so good before in my life!! 

Quoting palemoon21:

Doulas are wonderful and if you are having a hospital birth I would recommend one even more. :) By the way, isn't HypnoBabies great?

Photobucket
pregnancy due date
LaughterHugs
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:47 PM

http://blessedbebirthing.health.officelive.com/birthaffirm.aspx

Labor Doula Statistics

50% reduction in cesarean rate

25% shorter labors

60% reduction in epidural requests

40% reduction in Oxytocin use

30% reduction in analgesia use

40% reduction in forceps delivery

Clinical Studies about Doulas

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20021001/cochrane.html

Giving birth to a baby is so much more than a physical phenomenon; it engages parents-to-be in a transformational experience, a key life event full of emotion and meaning. A doula who accompanies a woman in labor mothers the mother, taking care of her emotional needs throughout childbirth. A doula also provides support and suggestions for partners that can enhance their experiences of birth. A postpartum doula continues that valuable emotional support and guidance, helping a family make a smooth transition into new family dynamics.

Doulas are educated and knowledgeable about childbirth and the postpartum experience. They are advocates and a listening ear for birthing mothers, as well as facilitators to her partner. When a family goes home with a new baby, a postpartum doula supports every member and the family unit as a whole.

Doulas are educated to work within evidence-based standards of practice. The skills that they develop are medically proven to make a true difference in the experience of birth. A doula's presence at birth improves outcomes for mother and baby. In the postpartum period, a doula's guidance can empower and encourage new parents, inspiring self-confidence in parenting.

Services Provided:

• At least 1 prenatal visit to discuss the parent's desires and preparations for birth
  • Phone support as needed during pregnancy and immediately postpartum
  • Assistance in creating a birth plan
  • Labor support at parent's choice of birthing environment as needed
  • Emotional, physical, and informational support during labor and birth

What doulas do NOT do

As a doula, we do not:

• Perform clinical tasks, such as blood pressure, fetal heart checks, vaginal exams, and others. We are there to provide only physical comfort, emotional support, and advocacy.
  • Make decisions for you. We will help you get the information necessary to make informed decisions. We will remind you if there is a departure from your Birth Plan.
  • Speak to the staff instead of you regarding matters where decisions are being made. We will discuss your concerns with you and suggest options, but you or your partner will speak on your behalf to any clinical staff.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)