Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stripping my membranes

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:02 PM
  • 15 Replies

Ok so I went in today. I'm 38 weeks...

Last week I was 1 cm, 40% effaced

This week I'm 1.5 cm, 50% effaced. Totally bummed about it. Next week she said she will strip my membranes if I want her to. I said YES!

What's been everyones experience with it? Like, how long did it take for things to take off: contractions, labor, etc.

CafeMom Tickers

pregnancy week by week

by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pandapanda
by Amber on May. 26, 2010 at 4:07 PM

For some, they have their baby that day. The more likely case (from reading posts here on CM) is that it won't do a thing. There have been more than a few moms who had their membranes stripped multiple times, only to go into labor on their own several weeks later.

Nothing works unless your body is ready!

LandonsMom331
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:10 PM

mine were stripped on a fri morning (the 28th).. i was due the 31st... water broke that following monday (the 31st) around 3AM.

carissapalmer
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:12 PM
I was due the 29th. Had mine stripped the 26th and had my son on the 28th. I did A LOT of walking (had my neighbors nervous) and yard work the 27th so I don't really know. I like to think the combination of things made it happen. Good luck! I know you're tired of being pregnant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyRJ
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:13 PM

i had it done two weeks in a row with my son, my first baby, and it never worked. I got some MAJOR cramps but nothing...

hope it works tho!!

lovin_being_mom
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:18 PM

I had it done at 38, 39. 40. and 41 weeks with my first. I was then induced at 41 weeks. Not doing that (or induction) again, because it obviously only works if your body is ready and in my opinion it isn't worth the risk of your water breaking/ infection.
I'm 38.5 weeks so I'm right along there with you about being impatient:)

kmg0528
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:22 PM

I got mine stripped...felt incredibly uncomfortable and at times very painful...Then I got them stripped again a week later...I still didn't go into labor until a week after that. She was two days early. I wouldn't recommend it.

doulala
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:28 PM

I think I have read that it works about half the time when done after a mom has passed her due date...    but I haven't done it, personally.

Sorry to hear you are bummed--    if it helps you to feel better & stronger, you can decline the offer for vaginal exams.   That info tends to make us confused, unsure, disappointed, frustrated, probably having expectations.    Moms don't know what to do with the information.

Good luck!   Let us know how things are going for you!

SuperMILFof2
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:32 PM
Well I was already in labor that morning, had them stripped in the afternoon and my son was born early the next morning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anlice
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:37 PM

I got it done. And it hurt!!!  And nothing happed for me!  I didnt go into labor until a week later.  lol  But I hope it works for you! :)  Good Luck!

NiChOlE06
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:42 PM

i had it done last pregnancy on a monday. had contractions all that night went to l&d at 2am lol i was in deed having contractions so they gave me pitocin to speed it along. but i totally think i would have had her the next day anyway! i ran up and down the stairs too the day she did it. lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)