Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Might not get to deliver where I *thought* I wanted to :-(

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:54 PM
  • 12 Replies

At my visit today, i told my dr i'd like to deliver at the other hospital, where he has privileges, but it's not his primary location and asked if there was anything special i needed to do, other than show up? He told me no, just give him a call when i go in....but if i elect to be induced, i'll almost HAVE to do it at his hospital cuz each hospital gives priority to THEIR drs....i told him that it was fine either way, that i had just liked better the idea of labor, delivery and recovery all in the same room. he told me 2 things i DID NOT know, that weren't covered during the tour i went on: 1)at MY hosp of choice, they do not give you the option of sending baby to the nursery if you need/want a break-there actually isn't a nursery, just a NICU (no bashing please!) and 2) (maybe they think this is obvious) if i recover in the room i deliver in, there is a GOOD possibilty that sometime during my stay, i'll have to listen to some other lady scream and yell her way through delivery....having to switch rooms after delivery is starting to sound mighty good!!

by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JHjelle827
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:58 PM

At the hospital I am delivering at they dont take baby to nursery either baby rooms with you. They will take the baby for a little bit if you need to rest and there is no one else that can watch baby. I will labor and deliver in one room but if they are really busy or if I choose to I can switch to a post partum room the day after I deliver (or evening after I deliver depending on when I deliver). So theres a possibility I will be moved out of my room or I might just stay where I am. Its nice to know I have an option of moving a lil over to the post partum aka quieter part of the maternity center.

jesselswick
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Here there is no nursery, you keep baby the whole time. They do take baby to do normal tests and stuff but thats it. Also,its all one room, Labor, delivery, recovery and postpartum. I didn't ever hear anyone during my 3 day stay at the hospital. I heard someone once but that was when I was up walking around and I walked right past the room.

meam4444
by Emerald Member on May. 26, 2010 at 5:04 PM

Good he gave you the information they didnt tell you on your tour!

Allie01
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:05 PM

At the hospital I am delivering at, we labor, deliver and stay all in the same room. I didn't hear anyone else in the other rooms unless I was walking around. The rooms were pretty sound-proof.

mommy1326
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:11 PM

I had both experiences.  I prefered to labor, deliver,recover,and post all in the same room I hated being moved right after I just gave birth!! With #2 It was all in the same room and they were nice "roomy" rooms too.

That being said my hospital did have a very small nursery. I would only send the baby there at night so I could get some sleep(brought back every 2hr.s to BF) and when I wanted to take a shower and no one was visiting to watch the baby. If I had to room in with my baby I would be a wreck!! I would MAKE my DH stay there with me and stay up while I slept.....LOL. I have issues with very young babies thinking,. they will stop breathing....this goes on with me throughout the nights untill 2 months old.

abra
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:14 PM

I don't get to deliver at the hospital I wanted too, either. I was going to delivery at John's Hopkins in Baltimore (where I had my second), but we moved to northern Idaho so I'm at no name hospital there. it's a good thing we still get cute babies out of these experiences!! :-) But it is nice that you get the dr. you want. I didn't get my OB either time I delivered. The first time he was on vacation and the 2nd time, you just get whoever is on call and I had never met him.

cheeres
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:25 PM

I have actual never heard of not having a nursery and having an all in one room. What would they do if a mother was delivering there and giving their baby up for adoption and didn't want the baby in their room. I had a friend in high school that did this. Also, I think I would prefer to have two seperate areas for that reason but then since I haven't ever experienced the other way, I wouldn't know.

K.a.C.87
by on May. 27, 2010 at 1:27 AM

at my hosp i deliver in the room that i stay in, i like it that way!!!!!

rebel_mommy09
by on May. 27, 2010 at 2:34 AM

The hospital I delivered at the labor and recovery rooms were seperate. I loved it.

montanacat
by on May. 27, 2010 at 10:56 AM

a GF who dilvered at this hospital a couple of years ago tells me that they DO have a very small nursery, but that they really try not to have babies there...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)