Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about natural birth...

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:58 PM
  • 13 Replies

Hey mamas!

I am a mother of an almost 6 yr old and a 3 yr old...I had an epidural with both of them...not sure that I even needed it because I barely felt any pain with either of them before I got it, and  with my daughter I got to hospital when she was like about to come out...So not sure why I even got one with her, or my son as well...I am thinking I was just scared of having a lot of pain. With both of them I only pushed a few times not more than 10 minutes...So my question is, Well first let me say I am 14 weeks with my 3rd lol...So I really want to do a natural one this time but I have some questions..How bad does the pain get, does it make the pushing time longer? Also is it hard on the womans body...like could all the pain and pushing cause something bad to happen? I am just a big mess right now...I worry too much lol! I would love to hear all your opinions and stories and advice on this. Thanks so much!

by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
abra
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:05 PM

I would recommend you read Husband Coached Childbirth by Robert Bradley. It outlines why they started using epidurals routinely in the first place and why he doesn't think the average momma needs them. Personally, I went without painkillers with my first, but it was pitocin induced so the it wasn't natural. With my second, I had a couple shots of fentanyl, which was perfect for  me. 8 hours of labor, 2 of them at the hosptial, 2 pushes and the baby was out. It was literally, the perfect birth! I was laughing between contractions! But I can't guarantee you'd have the same experience, although I hope you do. :-)

For most women, natural labors are actually faster and pushing is more productive. The reason why is because you CAN feel what is going on, when the baby engages and when and where to push. Every woman's pain threshold is different so nobody can tell you whether you will find it horribly painful or not, but generally, most mothers don't find the pain overwhelming. And, like me, if you start getting concerned about it, they do have drugs like fentanyl to take the edge off without numbing you completely.

meam4444
by Emerald Member on May. 26, 2010 at 5:07 PM

I think you would push less with out an epidural, as you will be allowed to roam and use gravity to help bring the baby down.  The pain gets to be painful, but you can at least work with the contractions which helps lessen it.  As far as the pain and pushing, I don't think it would be hard on our bodies.  Good luck.

palemoon21
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:08 PM

I've had a both. One with an epidural and one with no pain meds what so ever. However, the one with no pain meds was also an induction with pitocin hell contractions....

The pain was worse AFTER with my epidural and it took alot longer for my body to heal. The one without an epi was more intense, yet it WAS NOT from normal labor pain it was from them artificially contracting me with pitocin. After I gave birth to my 2nd though, It was almost orgasmic and I healed beautifully.

I am expecting my 3rd in October and I will be doing this labor/birth ALL natural since we will be at home. Obviously the pain's not "that bad" natural of so many of us wouldn't opt to go without pain meds again. lol

I read something the other day that said...The pain is in you, it can;t be bigger then you....or something to that effect. It makes alot of sense.

chadsmom05
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:11 PM

i had my son completely natural and plan to do the same with the second baby:) the pain gets intense, but nothing that i could bare down and handle, the bad pain doesnt last too long and once you start pushing it really eases up, almost like your fighting back. i only pushed twice and my son was out:) ive never heard that natural birth is harder on a womens body either; good luck momma!

CTRedSoxMom
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Actually statistically, epidurals cause pushing and labor to be longer :)

mom_mom_holly
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:14 PM

my first was all natural.  and it wasnt that bad.  i mean yeah i wouldnt want to do it everyday...but i plan on doing it natural agian with this one.  pushing was real easy.  for me.  all my friends had the epidural and they said pushing was hard cause they couldnt feel anything and they didnt know they were even pushing sometimes.  but like i said i did it natural and i didnt have any problems...and im not to big on pain, i dont handel it  well and i did just fine.  i dint scream, i didnt sware nothing lik ethe movies lol.  good luck.

gregory2
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:35 PM

I've done it both ways. I thought I was dying with my first so i had the epi. With my second I didn't make it in time or I would have gotten the epi again lol. The pain is intense its hard to describe bc for everyone its going to be a little different. For me it was horrible but it also went so quick. I pushed 5 times and he was out. (which I didn't push that much with my first either) My recovery was a lot quicker after my second though. They had me up and walking to the bathroom only minutes after everything was over. I had my son at 12:40am and by 7am I was walking to the nursery to see him and tell them I wanted him back lol. Its really for each their own, you know how much you can take and only in that moment can you make the decision as to what you want. best of luck to you moma! :)

Army_Wife41
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:38 PM

It didn't negatively affect my pushing. I pushed once and DD was out.The pain is terrible, but manageable. You just have to focus and control it.

And in the end...you get a beautiful baby...and you forget that you were just in pain. I loved my natural birth, and will do it again with any other kids we have.

Lullababy
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2010 at 5:39 PM

First, pain is relative.  Second fear of the pain will make it worse.  Your body actually works hard to expel the baby so there is no need to push so hard.  For me the worst part is always the couple minutes in transition, I do fine and then bam I think I can't do it, I refocus and get my grip and then the baby is out.  Sounds like others have suggest some good reading material.

ETA- My recovery with my natural deliveries was far faster and easier than my epi babies.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
blg5484
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:44 PM

you can also do just pain shots like demerol or something like that and a  pundel(sp) block where they numb the nurve that runs through the vagina so you dont feel the tear if that happens and its the same that they would give you if you went natural and did tear to sew you up but you dont get the epidural thats what im going to do so you will feel your contractions pushing ect but the pain meds will take the edge off and you can still get up and move around

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)