Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby Shower Help Please!!!

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:18 PM
  • 10 Replies

A friend of mine is having a baby shower for me and I wanted to know your thoughts on baby showers and what is and isn't okay.

Please tell me if you did yours a certain way and if it did (or did not) work out well for you!

My baby shower is July 17th and we're trying to get all this figured out soon!

*Should men and kids be invited?

*Do you think men would even show up? (My husband thinks he can keep the men entertained outside while we do "girly" things inside, but my thought is July is HOT)!

*Should I invite only women and then have a "meet the baby" party later for everyone?

*My DH has single guy friends and I'm worried about leaving them out, but do you think bachelors would even show up?

Any additional suggestions or help you have would be so awesome!

Thanks Mamas!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
palemoon21
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:22 PM

If I have a baby shower...there will be men/children invited as well. I am not relaly a tradtional type of girl anyhow so my baby shower will not really consist of just gifts/cake/games...I want it to be more of a celebration of anticipation of the new baby. Everyone should be invited in my opinion, especially the dad since I didn't make this baby by myself. I guess it just didn't make sense to me why a dad wouldn;t be at a shower in the first place. I had my daughter's father there and he loved it.

mommytobe090610
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Sorry I don't have any suggestions, I just wanted to say that my baby shower is on July 17th too! :) 

blg5484
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:24 PM

my shower is a week from sunday we are gonna have men there and kids

HeidiLong07
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:25 PM

With my last we had a BBQ and men and children were also included.  We didn't play any games, we just hung out and ate good food.  Way more my style than the traditional baby shower.

chadsmom05
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:28 PM

in our family, baby showers are for women only. no men allowed.lol

gregory2
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Around where we are men dont traditionally attend (not saying they cant, normally all the hubbys or so plan something to do durning our "girly" time) I always address my invitation to the women (its pretty much understood that kids are allowed bc we all have them lol.) I just make sure I have toys and things set up to keep the kids occupied, along with some kid friendly treats and drinks. You could do a meet the baby party afterwards if you wanted. Me personally I just like it when everyone comes by at their own time so I'm not overwhelmed. I'm always pretty exhausted the first few wks. As for your hubbys single friends if the hubbys decided to go fishing or something while the baby shower is going on I would invite them def. Thats what our dh, so, single friends do. go fishing, hunting, paint ball, they do some sort of activity while we do our baby showers :) Don't worry moma it will be fun! I wish you the best!

MamaBranson20
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:33 PM

I just had a CO-ED Baby Shower. At first the guys were weirded out about coming by my Hubby kept telling them it was just a BBQ where we open presents. We were going to play games but we ended up with about 80 people so it would have been to hard. There are games for co-ed showers, I went to 1 & the guys had fun. Just make it more like a BBQ if you want guys there. Don't say anything about games & you decide to play some you can but make them for both men & women.

Jess0915
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Quoting mommytobe090610:

Sorry I don't have any suggestions, I just wanted to say that my baby shower is on July 17th too! :) 

That's cool! Our due dates are only four days apart too. I'm Due Sept 10th.

:-)

mrspreggers14
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Ive heard of people doing showers with men and kids.. and if you want to do it I think itd be fun..  You could always do like a bbq or something to keep the men entertained and whatnot while you open the gifts..  If they dont want to be outside then maybe you have an extra room where you can keep all the men?? 

Jess0915
by on May. 27, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Quoting MamaBranson20:

I just had a CO-ED Baby Shower. At first the guys were weirded out about coming by my Hubby kept telling them it was just a BBQ where we open presents. We were going to play games but we ended up with about 80 people so it would have been to hard. There are games for co-ed showers, I went to 1 & the guys had fun. Just make it more like a BBQ if you want guys there. Don't say anything about games & you decide to play some you can but make them for both men & women.

Very good point! I don't want to end up with too many people because I really want to play games! Lol, Im such a kid! Plus, my MIL is working hard on games for us to play!

My hubby said he may take the men who show up to hit a bucket of golf balls down the street, lol, I think he'd prefer that anyway. From what my friends say, their hubby's don't seem too interested in the shower. We thought about a bbq, but I don't eat meat - so I was really hoping for fruit and salad - the men are so not interested! lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)