Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

bleeding after pregnancy

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:51 PM
  • 4 Replies

This is my first pregnancy. So I have no idea what to expect after giving birth. I know there is bleeding involved, but how heavy is it and how long does it last?If I have a C-section will I still have vaginal bleeding? 

CafeMom Tickers

by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
shamillionaire
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:54 PM

You will have the bleeding no matter what. Mine was so heavy that I joked about getting some depends instead of the massive maxi's the hospital gives you. I do not remember how much bleeding.

meam4444
by Emerald Member on May. 26, 2010 at 6:00 PM

Its is pretty heavy bleeding, but it lightens up.  I usually bleed for three to four weeks.  However, I have known of people to barely bleed post partum.

abra
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:08 PM

It really depends on the labor, delivery (how difficult it is) and the woman. Generally, you are going to bleed more with the first, though.

I bled a lot (heavily and for several weeks) with my first, but it was uncommon. The dr. thought I had hemorrhaged and then I didn't wait as long as I should have before having sex again.

With my 2nd, the labor and delivery was much easier and I didn't bleed nearly as much. I bled moderately for a week afterwards and lightly for another week before it stopped except for occasional spotting.

My mom barely bled at all with her 4th, 5th and 6th children. Eventually, her body just adjusted to the "trauma" of labor and delivery.

JasonsMom2007
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:11 PM

I bled MORE with my c-section than my VBAC!  With my c-section I bled heavily for a month.  Like heavy enough to use those big old hospital pads that entire time.  Then I bled lighter for 2 more weeks.  Just as that stopped I got my period!

With my VBAC I never really needed the big old hospital pads.  I bled moderatley for 2 weeks and then just spotted here and there for another week.  I was SHOCKED at the difference!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)