Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Palpitations * UPDATE *

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:05 PM
  • 7 Replies

*UPDATE*

I went back to the cardiologist and my pulse was 135 bpm, I also had another abnormal EKG. He doubled my Toporal and I'm now on 50mg twice a day. He said there wasn't much more they could do until the baby is born. I'm seeing the perinatologist tomorrow afternoon and going to see what they say. The cardiologist said they would moniter me as well when I go to the hospital to have the baby and then see me post-baby and hopefully it will go away. There is no explanation on the EKGs, the echocardiogram couldn't find anything but a healthy heart. Just wanted to update... hoping this will all be over soon!

Ok, long story. My pulse about this last month of pregnancy (I am 32 weeks 5 days) has been through the roof. I was hospitalized with Tachycardia earlier this month. My pulse was 120-150 bpm range resting. While I was in the hospital I had 2 abnormal EKGS and 2 thyroid tests coming back abnormal, a CT scan (to check for blood clots) and the rest of my blood work came back normal. The next day I had an echocardiogram which was also normal. The cardiologist put me on Toporal (25 mgs twice a day) to control my pulse and sent me to a endocrinologist to evaluate the thyroid test. I saw the endo. yesterday, they did another panel and they all came back normal. So, they said the thyroid stuff was pregnancy related. I have another appointment with the cardiologist tomorrow. My pulse at the OB office on Tuesday was 154 bpm & yesterday at the endo. it was 141 bpm. ANYWAY, today I have felt the palpitations and my heart skipping around, my pulse has been relatively low today running about 115 bpm, my blood pressure was 146/94 on my home moniter (I have had Chronic Hypertension since age 17 and am taking Methyldopa). I'm running out of ideas. The constant racing has drug me down, I just don't feel right. I'm guessing it's all pregnancy related and the baby is healthy going to the OB once weekly and the perinatologist weekly. What else can I do!??!?!

by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
danielsmommy2b
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:46 PM

BUMP!

SuzieC1983
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:07 PM

I have had an irregular heartbeat like that since I was 10 years old. Im 27 now. I have been on Metropolol for it all this time too. I wish I could say I had some advice for you on how to keep your pulse down but I honestly havent found anything.

palemoon21
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:09 PM

I'm not sure.....but here's a bump.

sparklebug86
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:18 PM

how is your iron level? That can cause your heart to race and palpatate as well as can be dangerous for both you and baby.

danielsmommy2b
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:23 PM

They did an iron test at 28 weeks when they did my glucose test. They said it was low and to not drink milk at night when I took my prenatal vitamin... they haven't checked it since?

munchkin79
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:28 PM

I have a svt (supraventricular tachycardia) I feel my heart flutter all the time. I have had a lot of palpitations lately. My heart rate is normally around 90-100 bpm. It will start racing out of the blue. We caught it on an event monitor once at 220bpm. Unless it is racing no one sees anything wrong with me. All my tests come back fine. I was going to have an ep study and ablation done in Feb which should take care of it but turned out I was prego and they couldn't do it. I have had 2 episodes of it racing since I have been prego. I know how frustrating it is when you don't feel good and feel like something is wrong but no one can figure it out. They almost treat you like your crazy. I hope yours it just pregnancy related and goes away once baby comes. I resting hb that high all the time would be so annoying and uncomfortable. I have always been told mine is not dangerous but man is it annoying! 

danielsmommy2b
by on May. 27, 2010 at 8:39 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)