Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question for those who have had a home birth

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:24 PM
  • 9 Replies

i am really wanting to to an unassited home birth. im looking for information on  requirements if there is any.

i would really love to stay out of the hospital.

Please any info would be great

thank you

by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:24 PM

by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:25 PM

Join the Birth is Normal group!  Tons of great info there!

by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:33 PM

by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:35 PM
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:36 PM

There are 2 good websites I would recommend:             Purebirth Australia and Laura Shanley's site.

Best wishes!

Purebirth Australia

Bornfree! Laura Shanley's Unassisted Childbirth Page

We've put birth in the same category with illness and disease and it's never belonged there. Birth is naturally safe, but we've allowed it to be taken over by the medical community.

~Carla Hartley, founder of Trust Birth and the Ancient Art Midwifery Institute

Treating normal labors as though they were complicated can become a self-fulfilling prophecy. ~Rooks

If you lay down, the baby will never come out! ~ Native American saying

by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:38 PM
I agree on joining a group dedicated to that topic. I agree birth is normal is one of the ones I have found very helpful. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:51 PM

I had an unassisted birth two years ago, I'm planning on having another in the fall.

There aren't any requirements that I know of, you can legally have a baby anywhere you want to or happen to be - hospital parking lot, hotel room, your mama's basement, next door neighbor's garden, or your own tub. 

You will have to file for the birth certificate yourself, and you'll just contact your local "department of vital statistics" for the requirements for that.  You can do it tomorrow, or even after the birth. 

I called when I was about 30 weeks just out of curiosity.  I asked them "What do I need to do to register an out-of-hospital birth without an attendant?"  and basically they told me to call back after the baby was born and tell them my mailing address so I could get a packet to fill out and bring back in.

In my state I just needed proof of pregnancy which for me was 4 signed letters from 4 people who knew me pregnant (since I had no record of prenatal care, which is usually what's used to prove pregnancy), a bill in my name (proof of residence), and ID for me and the daddy.

You don't "HAVE" to immediately go to the ER with your newborn babe and sit in a germ-infested triage or any such silliness as that.  Of course if you WANT you can schedule an appointment to be seen by a pediatrician and OB GYN to make sure everything is going well, but most likely you'll know if everything is going well or not.

Is there anything besides that you were wondering about?

by Freebirther on May. 27, 2010 at 11:20 AM

I would suggest doing as much research as you can on pregnancy and birth.  If you have any worries or concerns about the pregnancy or birth, study it.  Find out how to deal with that situation that you are worried about.  There are a lot of natural remedies that are beneficial.  I just had our first UC in February.  It was a beautiful experience.  I can't wait for the next pregnancy.  Will I have another UC?  Possibly.  I would love to, but DH was a little worried.  I don't want him to stress out about it again, so I'll discuss how he feels about it when the time comes. 

I have some information if you (or anyone here) is interested.  You can e-mail me at and put "CafeMom Birth Info" in the subject line.  I want you all to know that I am not a medical professional.  This is information I've gathered over the years of my studies on pregnancy and birth.  I've used it for my last 3 home births.  I would, however, strongly encourage everyone to do their own research.  Study up and find out for yourself all that you want to know.

Good luck on your birth.

Welcoming our 6th baby, 3rd home birth and 1st unassisted birth on 2-10-10.

by on May. 27, 2010 at 11:39 AM

There are wonderful groups here that focus around natural, home birth, waterbirth and uc's.

I also have spent the past few months planning for our homebirth...I have done hours and hours of research on birth, emergencies and basically just educating myself about my own body. I've ordered and rented alot of books about these subjects too. Once I get a chance, I'll make a list for you....just send me a message to remind me if you are interested. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)