Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

dont think im having a shower

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:06 PM
  • 27 Replies

i live so far from all my family and in law family, and friends bc hubby is in the army, and really have no one here but hubby, so i dont think im having a shower, im kinda sad about it, this is my first pregnancy and idk, i thought id get one and have all that fun and whatnot, but i dont think its gonna happen :(

my family lives 18 to 20 hours away, im on bed rest, so im not going there, and when the babies are born i am not traveling that far with 2 babies while trying to either breast feed or pump, especially after having a c-section, this is my first pregnancy and im not comfortable with traveling after they are born that far..... thus my kind of vent :(

CafeMom Tickers
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
truealaskanmom
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:12 PM

I wasn't getting one either, and my Dh and I decided to throw our own.  I don't think it is tacky neither does he, and the people we invited could care less that we are doing it for ourselves.  If you want one throw it for yourself. 

bakinbuns
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:14 PM

yea i would, but literally everyone we know is 18 or more hours away :(

Quoting truealaskanmom:

I wasn't getting one either, and my Dh and I decided to throw our own.  I don't think it is tacky neither does he, and the people we invited could care less that we are doing it for ourselves.  If you want one throw it for yourself. 

palemoon21
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:15 PM

I don't have many friends (CLOSE friends) here and my nearest family is over 3hrs away.....my SO's family is here though. I know people that would come to baby shower but I really don't feel that it would be anything more then looking like a "gift-giving" party.

It's sad when you're preggo and the people you want to share these 9 months with are so far away. :(

truealaskanmom
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:16 PM

Quoting bakinbuns:

Quoting truealaskanmom:

Do you plan to visit them anytime soon?  IF so maybe set one up for your visit.  If not maybe you can do a little party for you and your DH, you can decorate, play a few games, and even open presents that you wrapped, I think it would make you feel better, and it is a way to celebrate the new one on its way.  

truealaskanmom
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:18 PM

Quoting palemoon21:

I don't have many friends (CLOSE friends) here and my nearest family is over 3hrs away.....my SO's family is here though. I know people that would come to baby shower but I really don't feel that it would be anything more then looking like a "gift-giving" party.

It's sad when you're preggo and the people you want to share these 9 months with are so far away. :(

I think it is all about the way to put it to the people who are coming.  We said it is a baby shower but more of a get together and hang out eat food etc before the baby comes. Our friends have been totally fine about it. 

bakinbuns
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:19 PM

seriously is i hate being so far away from everyone

Quoting palemoon21:

bakinbuns
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:20 PM

im o bed rest and having twins so either way my doc didnt want me going too far, ive been to labor and delivery 2x in 3 weeks  no ones coming to visit us until august and the babies will be delivered in august

Quoting truealaskanmom:

Quoting bakinbuns:

Quoting truealaskanmom:

Do you plan to visit them anytime soon?  IF so maybe set one up for your visit.  If not maybe you can do a little party for you and your DH, you can decorate, play a few games, and even open presents that you wrapped, I think it would make you feel better, and it is a way to celebrate the new one on its way.  

truealaskanmom
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:23 PM

Quoting bakinbuns:

im o bed rest and having twins so either way my doc didnt want me going too far, ive been to labor and delivery 2x in 3 weeks  no ones coming to visit us until august and the babies will be delivered in august

Quoting truealaskanmom:

Quoting bakinbuns:

Quoting truealaskanmom:

I hate when people suggest this, but in your case it might be more practical.  You can have a welcome baby, bay shower after they are born since people will be around, and you won't be on bed rest anymore.  It is hard.  I wish I could be more helpful.  I know how it feels to miss out on a rite of passage like this.  (HUGS)

bakinbuns
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:29 PM

my mom is going to bring things then anyway, but like you said it's the "right of passage" thing i feel like im going to be missing out on, i feel like im almost being selfish... but then not bc i went to all my cousins baby showers and had soo much fun i just want the same experience

Quoting truealaskanmom:

Quoting bakinbuns:

Quoting truealaskanmom:

Quoting bakinbuns:

Quoting truealaskanmom:

I hate when people suggest this, but in your case it might be more practical.  You can have a welcome baby, bay shower after they are born since people will be around, and you won't be on bed rest anymore.  It is hard.  I wish I could be more helpful.  I know how it feels to miss out on a rite of passage like this.  (HUGS)

truealaskanmom
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:34 PM

I really know how you feel.  I still think it stinks that I have to throw myself one, and because it is co-ed I am afraid of games and such because it might be cheesy.  It sucks and when your are already prone to being upset it is that much worse.  I don't know why it is so hard to do nice things for people you know and are related to these days.  My MIL lives 5 mins away and REFUSED to throw a baby shower for me.  I guess though people like us are more likely to make sure nobody has the experiences that we have had.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)