Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

autsim

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:31 PM
  • 11 Replies

my son is going to be 2 and the docsthink he may have autsim what r signs of autsim

by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kittin002002
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:33 PM

Really shy is one i know, like wont make eye contact shy, because Autisum is a social disorder

truealaskanmom
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:36 PM

If you go to autismspeaks.com they have a whole list. 

UMiamiChick5683
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:38 PM

http://www.autismspeaks.org/

Here's a link to the Autism Speaks website. It's a great resource and has a lot of info. We're really involved because some very close friends have a 7 year old son with autism. Autism can vary which is why a lot of times it's called an autism spectrum disorder since they can be very high functioning to severely affected. Hope this helps! And don't be scared because there are plenty of people out there in the same situation and will support you! :-)

christine.r2624
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:41 PM
Actually its a developmental disorder. "Shy" is a broad spectrum. Extreme separation anxiety, inability to make eye contact (some kids just don't like to- autistic kids can't), stemming (this can vary or be non existent but is a tell tale sign- are his hands in constant motion in front of his face? Severe stemming is very obvious), lack of verbal skills, lack of social skills, DELAYED gross motor development...

What were some reasons the dr gave you?

Quoting kittin002002:

Really shy is one i know, like wont make eye contact shy, because Autisum is a social disorder

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bakinbuns
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:44 PM

i have a cousin who has autism, and taught 3 kids with autism.... having taught these children i did a lot of charity work to raise money for it's awareness....  i dont know all the signs but i know the love they need and it can be very difficult on the parents sometimes, but its so wonderful , for any child, to see their face light up :)

tys0803
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:52 PM

I have worked with Children and Adults with Autism for over 11 years now and 2 common symptoms are

1) Very Sensory Orientated meaning that individuals with Autism can have issues with noise, bright lights and other sensory issues..some to the degree of not showing affection because the sense of being touched makes them extremely uncomfortable.  Sometimes body tempature can be a major issue for them to remain comfortable

2) Also a lot of people with Autism NEED a very precise schedule...I don't know what I would call this necessarily, just that I have seen most individuals with Autism get nervous and sometimes even extremely angry when they expect a certain schedule and somehow it gets changed.

One piece of advice I would give you is to remember that it is ok to get several doctor's opinions because Autism is known for being misdiagnosed. A lot of doctors misdiagnose someone with a just a learning disability with Autism just to have a name for it.

tys0803
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:56 PM

Actually you are both correct...there is a very wide spectrum of severity and depending on that where a person falls in that spectrum it can be either.  That's why you hear people like Jenny MCcarthy say her son is "cured of Autism", his is mostly on the social side of the spectrum and has been manageable with Therapy and learning skills..Most people that have it Developementally fall into the more severe spectrum and simply can't function to the full extent to be taught how to manage it.

Quoting christine.r2624:

Actually its a developmental disorder. "Shy" is a broad spectrum. Extreme separation anxiety, inability to make eye contact (some kids just don't like to- autistic kids can't), stemming (this can vary or be non existent but is a tell tale sign- are his hands in constant motion in front of his face? Severe stemming is very obvious), lack of verbal skills, lack of social skills, DELAYED gross motor development...

What were some reasons the dr gave you?

Quoting kittin002002:

CafeMom Tickers
tys0803
by on May. 27, 2010 at 12:07 AM

BUMP!

K.a.C.87
by on May. 27, 2010 at 1:18 AM

the only thing i know of is shy, will pull themselves out of a group when other kids play, something speech -- it is dif for every kid and can def vary among them

palemoon21
by on May. 27, 2010 at 2:56 AM

Here is an amazing video regarding autism. It's almost 10 minutes long but I think you really really need to see this. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)