Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

baby not moving... **UPDATE**

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:51 AM
  • 8 Replies
I was in l&d earlier. the baby hasn't moved all day so I went in. he moved twice while I was there then nothing. they poked me and shook my belly but he still hasn't moved. I gotta u/s appt at 8 am tomorrow.don't know what's gonna happen if he doesn't do something. he's moved 3-5 times since I been back,and they been weak.im 37 wks by the way. has any one experience this? if so what did the drs do? I WENT FOR A BPP EARLIER.THEY SAID HE LOOKED FINE.HE DIDNT MOVE MUCH BUT HE WAS MOVING.THEY SAID SOMETHING ABOUT MY PLACENTA BEING IN THE FRONT,SO ITS PROBABLY WHY I DONT FEEL HIM.THEY GOT ME DOING KICK COUNTS.EVEN THOUGH HES MOVING,THE MOVEMENTS FEEL WEAK.
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
ElijahsMom211
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:53 AM

I noticed that Noah's movement slowed down a lot when it came closer to giving birth or when I wasn't drinking a lot of water, he got sluggish. But otherwise, no clue.

palemoon21
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:06 AM

He may be out of room to move. My daughters didn't move nearly as much before I went into labor. They were basically storing their energy for the trip through the birth canal. Babies do burn calories and work as hard to be born as we do to birth them. :) I think you'll be fine and I think baby is fine too...but if you are worried then don't hesitate to call your dr.

Jayzwife
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:13 AM
thx.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:16 AM
Why didn't they have you stay?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rebel_mommy09
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:42 AM

Right before I went into labor Brian's movement slowed a lot. 

HereWeGoAgain9
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:50 AM

Does your gut tell you that this is not normal? Do you feel like something could be wrong? I don't want to scare you, but as a labor and delivery nurse who has "seen it all" I have to tell you that I would march right back into L&D, tell them of your concerns and request 23 hour monitoring. 

It is true that babies begin running out of room and their movements can change, BUT drastic changes are not considered normal. Running out of room may change the way the movement is perceived, but it should not change the amount of frequency of the movement. 

My advice: Drink some OJ or another type of juice or sugary drink, grab a protein-packed snack and then lie down on your left side on the bed or couch. Begin counting movements. You should feel 10 movements within an hour. If you feel 10 in under an hour, stop counting, this is a good sign. If you do not feel 10 movements in an hour, you can try again, but given you already have concerns, I would get checked.

More times than not, everything is perfectly fine. Babies do have their own sleep patterns and such, but we moms tend to know our babies and our bodies better than we think. Kick counts are VERY important, especially between 36-42 weeks. I have seen patients come in with complaints, get monitored for a bit and then they are sent home - only to come back the next day with very troubling issues.

Your baby IS still moving, this is a great sign. But I simply urge you to take change of you health and the baby's and if your instincts are telling you something isn't right, you may just be correct. Don't let medical staff intimidate you.

Best wishes for a happy and healthy delivery when the time is right!!

HereWeGoAgain9
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:51 AM

Also, you may want to request a biophysical profile, and definitely a 23 hour monitoring stay. Please keep us updated!

desipattycakes
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:00 AM

this just happened to me on monday.. i went to l&d, and they hooked up a fetal monitor and measured the heartbeat for an hr. then did an u/s assessment for fluid, movement, and breathing.. if the baby passes the assesment ( which he did) then i could leave.. they suggested laying on your left side and drinking a coke if the baby isnt moving.. coke should wake them up!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)