Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

c-section or vbac???

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:22 AM
  • 10 Replies

i'm on baby #4, and have put myself in a dilemma of sorts... my first 2 kids, both boys, i had normal... my daughter flipped herself sideways sometime w/in the last week that i was preggers w/ her, so i had to have a c-section..

it's the hospital's policy where my last 3 were born that if you have had 1 c-section, any kids thereafter are automatically delivered via c-section... idk that i want to go through all that again so much, and have 3 other kids besides a newborn to chase after as soon as i get home..

there is, however, a hospital about 45 mins from here that will do a vbac, if desired... the other hospital is 30 mins away, give or take...

so my question is: if you were me, and could have children just fine 'normally', would you go ahead with another c-section, or try the vbac at the other hospital??? i'm only 16wks, but i'd like to have a solid game plan well before 'D-Day' comes =] thanx!

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coolmom_4b
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:29 AM

I would definately go for the vbac.   I have a hospital 5 minutes from my new house that will do a csection, but I want my vbac so I am traveling 50 miles away to a hospital that will let me do one.  I refuse to have another section after how horrible my last one was.

By the way, my first son was born natural no pain meds nothing, my next 2 were sections.  If you have done it vaginally before there is no reason you shouldn't be able to do it again.

Good luck.

mommytam
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:32 AM

I would go vbac. I had a c-section with my first and I have had one vbac and plan on having another in August. My doc are so sopportive of it and it is much better than a c-section.

tierneyschrader
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:42 AM

the only problem(s) i foresee with a vbac is that i've never been to the hospital that will do it, and my dr that delivered the last 3 won't go to the other hospital (the vbac one)... but, knowing my children and how my luck runs, they'll schedule a c-section, and this kid will come before then and he'll be out of town and won't deliver it anyways lol.. big thanks to my beautifully wonderful daughter for this mess! <3 i hadn't planned on a 4th baby whatsoever, so at the time, the csection wasn't a huge deal, NOW, however, i'd prefer not another one... vaginally is so much more natural to me... *sigh* this is a huge stresser for me for some reason! =]

crzemom
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:45 AM

i had my first a csection and i dont want another one sooo after alot of searching i found a doc. that would do a vbac and said there was no reason for them to do a cs the first time they just didnt give the meds enough time to work.. i guess it just up to u which u would rather havee i say go for vbac =)

doulala
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:07 AM

I would choose a VBAC because it is safer.
Safety is my priority.

You could also use a birth center or a homebirth midwife for statistically safer route!

It is a lame issue, politics interferring with your body, your healthy, your baby's health!!
Their convenience & money is their priority~      clearly not that of the Pregnant Mother.

orange4agua72
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:14 AM

I personally would do the V-Bac!!!

mrs.phillips123
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:15 AM

v-bac!

but its your body your decision but there are alot more risks to you and your little one with a c section.

tierneyschrader
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:17 AM

the reason why the one hospital doesn't do vbacs is b/c they're not equipped/staffed for emergencies.. they don't have an anestisiologist on hand around the clock, or an OR team either... plus their nursery is only stage 1 or something... basically, if a new baby gets too bad, they flight it out.. this other hospital (vbac hosp lol) isn't so much bigger, but their nursery is stage 2, so not too many babies being flighted out, i suppose... and i guess since they do vbacs, they do have the anestigiologist on hand around the clock, and also an OR team in case something would go wrong, which from my understanding, there's only a 1% chance something MIGHT go wrong in the first stinkin' place.. geez.. =]

MommyRJ
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:19 AM

what about a doctor? have you found a doc, or midwife that uses the far away hospital??????

i would start there and decide with them. I know you can get ALOT of good advice here, but usually it ends up in a cat fight lol so its better to decide with your hubby and doc.

BUT, if it was ME- i would travel the extra 15 minutes to TRY at least for the Vbac, especially since you had two other regular deliveries...

tierneyschrader
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Quoting MommyRJ:

what about a doctor? have you found a doc, or midwife that uses the far away hospital??????

i would start there and decide with them. I know you can get ALOT of good advice here, but usually it ends up in a cat fight lol so its better to decide with your hubby and doc.

BUT, if it was ME- i would travel the extra 15 minutes to TRY at least for the Vbac, especially since you had two other regular deliveries...

the main doctor i have now that delivered the last 3 won't go to the vbac hospital.. but since my last baby almost 3 years ago, he has since changed everything and now has PA's and such that rotate around between the 2 hospitals.. HE himself doesn't tho, which sucks, cuz i just love him! =] if he would just go to the other hospital himself, this whole thing would be a no-brainer... i wonder if the vbac hospital would let me 'tour' the maternity area, since i've never been there?? hmm... also, since he's joined w/ the other PA's and stuff, there's no guarantee that he would actually deliver the baby, especially if i stayed w/ a csection and it came early..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)