Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When should I replace my car seat??

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:36 AM
  • 3 Replies

I bought a brand new Graco carseat for my first baby 3 years ago. He used it until he was about 8 or 9 months when he way out grew it. So I let my friend borrow the seat for her new daughter (they were tight for cash at the time) and she used it for over a year. Then she had another baby soon after and her son used it until he was 7 months. She is planning on returning it to me for this baby, but it's been used by three kids now and I'm just not sure if it is safe anymore! I don't know if they were in any accidents with it, I doubt it but I don't *know*. And I don't really want my brand new baby girl in a car seat three other brand new babies used! It's maybe a selfish thing, but I just want her to have a new one. However, we are trying to reuse as much as we can from our son so we can keep our expenses down, and I don't think DH will agree to buying a new seat. He thinks it's perfectly safe. What do you think??

Here's picture of the seat when my son first used it! My son is obviously on the right!

Pregnancy TickerCafeMom Tickerswedding websites

Physiological (natural) home birthing, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, no-CIO, non circumsizing, pro-life, attachment parenting, cloth diapering, baby slinging, baby food making, green living, midwife loving, doula practicing mommy to an amazing two year old boy and wife to the greatest man I've ever known! Pregnant with number two! Life keeps gettin' better!
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Lahtaspirit
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:41 AM

There is usually a sticker with kinda like an experation date to when to have it inspected. Which can be done at your local fire department. She look for cracks or signs of stress. If you take the cover off and the carseat is intact not cracked or turning white from stress fractures it will be ok

amy31308
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:44 AM

I would get a new one.

mOm2bOyS_nY
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:57 AM

i would get a new one

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)