Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birthing with tachycardia? anyone been there?

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:31 AM
  • 6 Replies

So a couple of weeks ago i was diagnosed with a form of Tachycardia, basically i have a rapid heart rate and my heart is working a little harder than its supposed to pumping all the extra blood. 

Anyways, ive been reading alot on it and have seen quite a bit of info saying some moms with these conditions end up with a csection. while i have the utmost confidence in myself, midwife and doula to find the safest natural birth im wondering

if any other moms have given birth with this condition and how it turned out.

Thanks ladies!

Wife to Matt and Momma 2 yr old Latham James and another little boy on the way, Lane Jason due in July! 

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mrs.phillips123
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:36 AM

anyone :(

NordicAngel
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:43 AM

I've been diagnosed with the same and have had to wear a event recorder to record my episodes of rapid heart beats... however the doc hasn't said anything about increased likelyhood of csection... I'll be sure to ask on Monday when I see the doc!

mrs.phillips123
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:25 PM

lol i have to wear a heart monitor too and take heart medication daily now, i feel like an old man! i havent had a chance to talk to my midwife either, i see her tomorrow and will bring it up, if i remember.. .my memory is shot these days lol

Quoting NordicAngel:

I've been diagnosed with the same and have had to wear a event recorder to record my episodes of rapid heart beats... however the doc hasn't said anything about increased likelyhood of csection... I'll be sure to ask on Monday when I see the doc!

Wife to Matt and Momma 2 yr old Latham James and another little boy on the way, Lane Jason due in July! 

TTC2Long
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:46 PM

I have mitral valve prolapse, both my valves seal improperly which allows blood to leak back into the preceding valve or artery, which causes tachycardia.  I've been monitored by a cardiologist for the duration of my pregnancy.  As my blood volume has increased as well as with the effects of the relaxin, leaks have increased, but he has every confidence that I will be able to have a normal vaginal delivery.  He said that in 20 years of practice, having monitored hundreds of women with the same or similar conditions, he's never had one who suffered heart damage or failure due to pregnancy or delivery.

I would suggest that you look into Hypnobabies as a birthing technique.  It helps you maintain relaxation and peace during you pregnancy, birthing and delivery.  There are many benefits, but a big one for you (besides providing for a pain-free m unmedicated birth!) is that it would help keep your blood pressure down and because you're not straining to push with this method, the strain on your blood vessels, including the heart, is also decreased.  It's not too late for you to start the program now, but I would get on it if it's something you want to do.  It's a 5 week program that you can study in a class or at home.  I'm doing it at home and loving it.

Good luck!

CafeMom Tickers
pacificamom
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:48 PM

bump! I'm sorry I don't know but good luck!

ready_for2
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:49 PM

yes, i had it at the end really bad. it would start out of nowhere for no reason, i had to wear a take home heart monitor and see a cardiologist. it didnt seem to affect my labor and delivery at all. the problems i had there were due to induction

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)