Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Respecting Post Birth Feelings

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:00 PM
  • 1 Replies

Originally from : http://blog.ctnews.com/elwood/2010/06/02/accuracy-in-a-cartoon/

There has been a  lot of discussion lately about woman’s feelings post cesarean here.  Lots of healthy baby comments, and other women simply not having an understanding of the feelings some women go through after having a cesarean section.  With my post today, I wanted to talk about Post Cesarean Feelings, the recent survey, websites that deal with this, and other information.

My first son was born via an unnecessary c-section that left me feeling exactly like the picture above, provided by Hathor the Cow Goddess, and her amazing website. It wasn’t needed, I didn’t get to be with or interact with my son immediately, once they finally brought him to me, I was told he would have to stay in the nursery for the night because they were not “allowed” to leave him with me because he was a c-section baby, and because I was having narcotics for pain management (morphine pump for the short time after birth) and also because I was unable, and not allowed to get out of bed, so I clearly couldn’t take care of him.

I am not the only mother out there who didn’t like their experience or wish to repeat it over and over again for every child they have.

Some of the amazing organizations and websites out there that help women with their experiences after the fact include :

• Birth Cut -  Birth Cut is a website open to women who have had cesareans to heal through telling their story, art, and various other types of methods. The owner of the site, Michele is a Connecticut native who had one cesarean birth, and a VBAC in April of 2009.
  • The International Cesarean Awareness Network – Also known as ICAN, they are a support group for women who have had c-section births, and also provide education and information on vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC) and work on the advocacy related to VBAC and National VBAC bans. There are chapters all over the country, as well as right here in Connecticut.
  • Solace for MothersSolace for Mothers is an organization designed for the sole purpose of providing and creating support for women who have experienced childbirth as traumatic. Birth trauma is real and can result from an even seemingly “normal” birth experience. (Taken from their website)

Supporting women after a bad experience is what we should be doing as women, not putting them down, or casting judgment because we do not agree with the way that we feel.  There are so many women out there who have had bad experiences but are afraid to discuss them because of the judgment, and comments that will not only hurt, but further victimize their experience.

In reality, unless you have been there yourself, the right to comment on these situations ultimately is not yours. Ignorance on the subject can hurt these women.

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
doulala
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Thanks for sharing this!!

I have shared some links and info about it and got some unbelievable comments...

:-(

I want to mention that not just cesarean birth moms can feel negatively about their experiences and outcomes, too.

:-(
It can take us years of processing and emotional healing to feel better again...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)