Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Consumer Reports Carseat Recommendations (Please Sticky!!!)

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:45 PM
  • 36 Replies

In light of the "Great Carseat Debate" I thought I would use my Consumer Reports Membership and do a little research. I have included the Top Consumer Reports rated seats from Infant to Toddler. My husband and I ONLY shop from consumer reports. They do crash tests, and also take actaul CONSUMER recommendations. I included what they had to say about each seat as well as Retail Price and the Consumer Report Overall Rating. I hope this helps!!!

Consumer Reports Recommendations

For Car Seats

Infant Seats:

#1 Recommended: Chicco Key Fit 30

~Approximate Retail Price: $169

~CR's Take: The best seat overall for balancing crash protection ,ease-of-use and vehicle. One of the best fits for newborns.

~CR Overall Score: 80/100

#2 Maxi-Cosi Mico

~Approximate Retail Price: $170

~CR's Take: Excellent crash performance and very good ease-of-use. Installs well in many vehicles without the base making it a good alternative for those that live in the city and use a taxi often or don't use the seat base.

~CR Overall Score: 67/100

#3 Safety 1st Designer 22

~Approximate Retail Price: $75

~CR's Take: Balanced protection at a reasonable price.

~CR Overall Score: 62/100

#4 Graco SnugRide

~Approximate Retail Price: $119

~CR's Take: A reasonably priced seat that fits many different vehicles well with either the belts or LATCH.

~CR Overall Score: 55/100

#5 Evenflo Embrace 5 LX

~Approximate Retail Price: $85

~CR's Take: Excellent crash protection and a reasonable price but takes some added effort to make some adjustments and get secure in a car.

~CR Overall Score: 50/100

Convertible Car Seats (Greater than 40lb):

#1 Recommended: Evenflo Triumph Advance LX/DLX

~Approximate Retail Price: $135

~CR's Take: One of the easiest seats to use with many features and a reasonable price that make it a good value. One of the better choices if you decide to use a convertible seat for a newborn. Some Evenflo Triumph Advance seats manufactured prior to 12/4/2008 exhibited cracking in simulated crash tests with a toddler-sized dummy in a rear-facing position. Although some of these cracks resulted in the shoulder belt leaving the seat's belt path, the seats still would have scored 'good' for crash protection. Evenflo has since modified the seats at issue and samples of the Triumph Advance seats manufactured from 12/4/2008 forward did not crack in our tests.

~CR Overall Score: 70/100

#2 Britax Boulevard

~Approximate Retail Price: $310

~CR's Take: The Britax Boulevard has a high price, but offers a number of features to help maximize the security of your child in the seat, and the seat in your car. With its broad weight and height range, it has the potential to fit your child from infancy through elementary school.

~CR Overall Score: 64/100

#3 Britax Advocate CS

~Approximate Retail Price: $370

~CR's Take: The Advocate offers many features that can help you get a secure fit in your car but may be too big for smaller vehicles if used rear facing and is a pricey seat. Side impact cushion technology may offer a benefit for side impact protection, but currently no standard test exists for evaluating side impact performance.

~CR Overall Score: 61/100

#4 Graco My Ride 65

~Approximate Retail Price: $155

~CR's Take: A good choice for cars with enough room to accommodate it rear facing.

~CR Overall Score: 60/100

#5 The First Years True Fit

~Approximate Retail Price: $190

~CR's Take: This seat may be a good alternative for small cars with its removable head extension that allows more room for reclined babies under 22 lbs. Takes some work to get installed using lock-offs.

~CR Overall Score: 60/100

#6 Britax Marathon

~Approximate Retail Price: $280

~CR's Take: One of Britax's best-selling seats, the Marathon has the potential to be easily secured in many different vehicles. Though pricey, the Marathon offers value in that it can fit many children from infancy through elementary school.

~CR Overall Score: 58/100

#7 Orbit Toddler Car Seat

~Approximate Retail Price: $360

~CR's Take: This very expensive seat doesn't have as many ease-of-use features as some much less expensive models. Can't be used for newborns. Seat also loses its greatest benefit--the hub--when you transition it to forward-facing.

~CR Overall Score: 54/100

#8 Evenflo Titan Elite

~Approximate Retail Price: $100

~CR's Take: A reasonably priced seat but belt locking clip requirement makes belt installations more difficult.

~CR Overall Score: 48/100

Toddler Booster Seats (Greater than 40 lb. harness capacity):

#1 Recommended: Graco Nautilus 3-in-1

~Approximate Retail Price: $165

~CR's Take: A higher-weight harnessed combination seat that should prove easy to secure in most cars.

~CR Overall Score: 70/100

#2 Britax Frontier

~Approximate Retail Price: $280

~CR's Take: A good performer if you can get a secure fit but may not suit all cars.

~CR Overall Score: 48/100

Hope This Helps!!!

babies

I'm a proud breastfeeding (but don't bash those who don't), circumcising for health reasons, pro-CIO, vaccinating, disposable diapering, pro-life, meat and chocolate eating, Southern Christian Mama!

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
danielsmommy2b
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:51 PM

Thanks! Baby will have the Graco Snugride, and my older 2 are in Graco Nautilis... I feel pleased with our decisions!

RutterMama
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:52 PM

I'm glad you are pleased. For us, we were considering the snug ride, but didn't care for how they fit in the car and secured. We settled on the Chicco Key Fit 30.

Quoting danielsmommy2b:

Thanks! Baby will have the Graco Snugride, and my older 2 are in Graco Nautilis... I feel pleased with our decisions!

RutterMama
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:03 PM

BUMP!

tashangel31
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:07 PM

we use the snug ride too!!! it was one of the only carseats when our daughter was born that would accomidate a 4 lb baby!!! i think its like 5 lbs now... but we loved it!!!

RutterMama
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:14 PM

BUMP!

RutterMama
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:28 PM

BUMP!

MommaBoop922
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Thanks!!! :D 

kbaby1624
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:44 PM

BUMP!

RutterMama
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Your welcome. It took me about an hour this morning to put all of this together, but I think it is VERY important information.

Quoting MommaBoop922:

Thanks!!! :D 

LilMommy2B24
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Thanks! I was actually looking at the Chicco Key Fit for when baby's born!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)