Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Unemployment

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:13 PM
  • 10 Replies

Dh and I were happy and financially stable, celebrating the new baby coming in october then bam-he gets laid off. This isn't the first time but it is hard picturing the future when things are so uncertain. Anyone else been affected by your own or SO/DH's sudden unemployment?

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GothicMommyToBe
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:15 PM
Well we don't have a baby but my fiance lost his job in april. Now we both just have part time jobs. We are currently looking for full time,it was and still is hard since he lost his job. He was making good money,best thing I can tell you is always be positive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shawnalovesdon0
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:16 PM

I feel the same you do. Dh just got laid off from his job too, He qualifies for unemployment at only $117 a week. It really sucks because now we have absolutley no money. With a family of four and one on the way I cry everytime thinking about money. =( 

kenzsmama
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:19 PM

I was 37 weeks pregnant and my hubby lost his job. We went from taking home $1,800.00 a week to $415.00 a month. So yes, been there done that, I'm thankful for the little unemployment that he does get though. Good luck!

sheila3
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:20 PM

WOW IM SO SORRY WHAT DOES HE WORK IN? TELL HIM TO  APPLY IN THE OIL RIGS IT PAYS GOOD MY HUBB IS LAID OFF FOR NOW BUT GHE HAS A JOB HEE IN AUSTIN THAT PAYS BOUT THE SAME N HE GETS UNEMPLOYNENTB 624 EVERY 2WEEKS HELPS US ALOT

montanacat
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:36 PM

for almost 18 mos now! off and on, but constantly since this jan....we REALLY thought things would be "good" by the time LO got here-now it looks like i'll be right back at work as soon as the dr clears me  :(

aubB06
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:07 PM

My husband has been laid off for a year with pretty much zero hope of returning to his old (good paying) job. So far we've been making it on unemployment and my part time job I got to supplement for the income loss...but we are just barely making it usually. In fact, right now we are 2 months behind on our mortage and 1 month behind on one of our credit card bills. The umeployment rate in our county is over 13% and even when he does find a plac that is hiring you can bet a couple hundred other ppl applied to. Companies really have the pick of the litter now around here when it comes to filling positions. And, unfortunately for my young husband, with no college degree, he hasn't been the top applicant anywhere yet. I am really nervous about how we are going to make it with another baby. But, I know that God will provide for us some way or another and I know because of our amazing family we will never have to worry about being homeless.

pacificamom
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:41 PM

. And, unfortunately for my young husband, with no college degree, he hasn't been the top applicant anywhere yet. I am really nervous about how we are going to make it with another baby. But, I know that God will provide for us some way or another and I know because of our amazing family we will never have to worry about being homeless

Same here I feel the same way!! It's rough, he got his high school diploma and has been in construction for 8 years. It pays really well (san francisco) but when things slow down--do they ever!!! he gets unemployment and we live off of it but we're behind on rent and the list goes on and on. God is good and we have had everything we need but it's not easy.

zebbyzebby06
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:45 PM

yes....about a yr ago my hubby had lay off weeks hes was making 500 a week, our houe was 500 we had acar 300 and his cc was like 800 a month, it was bad fora while and takes a toll on a marriage tahts for sure, then they company was gonna be shut down. THANKS TO GOD he got  agreat job doubling his weekly salary, downside he had to go work overseas, and we are down like 20k in debt only have 10k (other htan house and 2 cars) and the 10k will be gone byt the time he comes home in aug, i cant wait cause this single mom thing is SUCH HARD WORK

olgabillman07
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:51 PM

I'm sorry your going through this. Hubby just got laid off a week ago and we are due in September. This is not the first time though.. I know how stressful it is. God WILL take care of you and your family, just pray.

JHall
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:10 PM

Oh yeah.  He still hasnt' found anything and none of the jobs he has put in for have called back.  He's been out of work for a little over a year now. We thought he would have found something by now but nothing and now I'm getting worried about how we are gonna be able to afford this LO.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)